30.4.05

Realist-constructivism? and modernist poetry

More on the (enlightening? frustrating? confusing? entertaining? disconcerting? your choice) Realist-Constructivist Conference (Workshop) tomorrow, since it isn't over yet. I will note that the first thing that was decided was that everyone disagreed on what that term means, and the second was that we (possibly) need a new term. Naming things doesn't seem to be a strength of this particular ism. Also, we should all be using an "ism"atic lens. Think on that, and I'll get back to you with the rest later.

So, today's poetry selection is (I think) closely linked to this new discussion. Although it also could say things about the previous methodology debates.


Robert Frost (1920)

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire;
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Discuss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home