3.5.05

Mind the gap (or ford it, or jump into it, or block it)

A few years back, I was in London. This was the first time in my life that I ever used underground transport (or the Tube, as they called it in London). I have to admit that spending time underground is not a favourite pastime (even after two years in Washington) and, at that time, I was rather wary of the massive crowds which pushed towards each train as it arrived at the station. However, my fears were groundless and I was charmed at how the driver usually found time to announce, “Mind the gap…please mind the gap between the train and the station” as train stopped at various stations. Now, this just seemed like concern for the fellow human being which is usually not seen in big cities (especially among public transport operators) and the recommendation to mind the gap has remained in my memory of a glorious (the sun shone every day) week in London.

I thought of the gap when I heard Gerry Adams’s recent speech to the IRA. For Adams, the gap was not a (small) space to be mindful of but as “the Bearna Baoil, the gap of danger”, it represented an opportunity, a chance for IRA members to give up arms and work for peace (in Adams’ representation). Here, the gap is an opportunity. It is not to be blocked but to be jumped into. To climb into the gap of danger is to show courage. Adams’ gap has to be (bravely) walked into. But, Adams’ gap has can change through time. It has shifted from being a place for IRA “volunteers” to “risk life and limb” to a place where “activists in a national movement [can step] towards independence and unity.” As an example of shifting positions, the gap (and its purpose) is illustrative of how Adams wants the IRA to act. What the IRA will do is open to question.

I was reviewing a book for StructureMan some time ago when the gap made its reappearance. This time, in a different way as the author described countries resistant to globalization (and “plagued” by oppressive regimes, poverty and diseases) as “the Gap”. He linked them as potential terrorists and added American’s role should be to use its military to shrink the Gap. “Shrinking the Gap is possible only by stopping the ability of terrorist networks to access the Core via the "seam states" that lie along the Gap's bloody boundaries” (my emphasis)

Yes, there it is. The Gap is an area of terror, of potential global instability and is major threat to America. But, it also has bloody boundaries. America’s role is to reduce it and stop it spreading. Is it only me or does this imply a feminisation of the Gap? But then that would mean America’s role in the global war on terror is that of a feminine hygiene product (thanks Elizabeth, for that image) as it plugs the gap. Probably not the image the author was aiming for.

(FYI, the author describes himself as “I work for the finest government in history, in the greatest country in the world. I am proud to be associated with the best military on the planet. I get up every morning convinced that my job is to change the world, and I remain wholly optimistic that it can be done”. This really has nothing to do with any of the gaps I have talked about but I just thought I would put that to show how refreshing it is to find someone who loves his job so much).

So, there you have it. The Gap. It’s up to you what to do with it

1 Comments:

At 5/07/2005 7:51 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I don't like the Gap. I think their khakis aren't really all that great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home