9.3.06

A(nother) wee bit of nationalism

For those who do not know me in RL (Real Life), I spend most of my Friday afternoons, when not engrossed in debating world shaking issues at the Theory Salon, at the local animal shelter.

Unlike folks who work with "cute" animals (see Site of the Month for examples), I hang around with invertebrates and entertain kids by imparting mind-numbing details about the mating habits of the slipper lobster. I've been told my description of the habits of pond scum remains unchallenged in the history of Invertebrate Interpreters (Our motto: "We speak for those without a voice (or a backbone)". Almost like my Third-Worldian self is supposed to do, on behalf of the oppressed over there. Wait, or is that the repressed?)

Apart from treading a path straight to hell for my role in spearing (alive) crawfish babies and feeding them to cuttlefish (I pretty much ensure survival of the fittest happens in this context), I spend most of my time reading up on odd habits of invertebrates so I can astound the next screaming child (and its parents) with my knowledge. So, imagine my pleasure when I found out today about the "Yeti Crab", newly-discovered in the South Pacific.

Yes, the "Yeti Crab"--Nepali nationalism to the fore. I love it that they named the invert after a mythical being that is reputed to hang about in the Himalayas and has never been seen. After all, if it makes sense to name an animal after a myth then next up: the Basilisk baboon or the Acromantula anemone.

1 Comments:

At 3/10/2006 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, you really are busy...volunterring too...who has time for that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home