17.5.06

The shiny newness has cheered me right up

After yesterday's unwelcome news and accompanying rant,* it was nice to know that this afternoon, I was lined up to get a lovely new tattoo. And it is quite nice, if I do say so myself.

From there, it was off to the regular Wednesday night writing group meeting, where I wrote half a fancy new short story. It's too early to tell how nice it will be, but I like what I've got so far.

And, as one final indication that it isn't time to give up on the universe, my beautiful (fully legal) dvds of Doctor Who: Series One were waiting on the doorstep. All wrapped up in plastic and straight from their Canadian distributor.**

Maybe that last one is actually a signal that Canada is a wonderful place, full of science fiction television shows and single-payer health care.

* As usual, Bitch, Ph.D. wrote a much better response than I did. You should go read it, too. Along with her nuanced discussion of why it's maybe the Post, and not the CDC, that is obnoxious and offensive.


** And complete with extra features! All new whoness to enjoy!

7 Comments:

At 5/17/2006 10:32 PM, Blogger Priya said...

So, framing issues dissolves in the face of shiny happy whoness to enjoy?

I wonder if I can get StructureGuy to read PTSD to point out the global (feminist/all American women category)/local (yay CE and new Doctor category) you shifted through.

Yes, you can gather from that comment that I'm having issues with you know what which is due on Monday. Monday. I am (and have been) at uni most of the evening/night working on it.

This is because I am, in a fit of whatnot which I shall surely regret by tomorrow, revising the entire thing and turning it into "my" paper. It'll probably get edited beyond recognition but I don't care anymore. Maybe I'm turning into a militant.

 
At 5/17/2006 10:40 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Well, maybe not dissolve. But certainly they become easier to ignore given the endorphin high that I'm currently enjoying.

Yes, that's right, my answer to the patriarchal oppression that is prepregnancy is permanent body modification. More women should get tattoos, because every single one is evidence that we have a higher tolerance for pain than men do.

And so, when the revolution comes, I can confidently assume that it'll hurt them more than it will us.

Sucks about the ongoing drama that is your project, though. Want me to watch some of the dvd extras to show my solidarity and support? Because I will, if you think it will help.

 
At 5/18/2006 12:39 AM, Blogger Priya said...

Now, I've got Children of the Revolution (the Billy Eliott version, not the film) stuck in my head.

Ongoing drama continues. I'm looking forward to Sunday evening Who-goodness as my salvation of the week.

What extras? I expect full details next time we meet up in RL :-)

As for tattoos, I think I'm even more of a wuss than most blokes (or even children) I know. Unless someone sedated me first.

 
At 5/18/2006 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's too bad they don't tattoo drunk people anymore...we could get P liquored up and bring her in for her first initiate tattoo

 
At 5/18/2006 3:14 PM, Blogger Priya said...

See, kids? That's peer pressure, right there! My sister's visiting next week (and looks like a skinny, taller me)--would she do, instead?

 
At 5/19/2006 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL anyone will do...I'm all about corruption...:D

 
At 5/19/2006 2:30 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Peer pressure, peer pressure! You're going to be so jealous when you see the new ink, you'll want to run right out and get yourself one.

Much like my shiny new Doctor Who box set. Which includes a lovely interview with CE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home