6.12.05

Neoliberalism Good?

We promise a more substantial post (about Hume and causation, no less!) in the near future. But to hold you over, I offer this quote from Savage Minds:

The job market was not particularly exciting this year, and it was hard to find exciting panels. Even particularly popular panels, like ‘the neoliberalism one’ were not as heavily attended as it could be since, as one grad student put it, “the spy museum was cooler.” I am not sure whether this says more about the spy museum or neoliberalism.

I have to confess that I’ve never really enjoyed DC as a town and, with the exception of an exceptional Long French Dinner, I didn’t stray very far from the hotel—I suspect that this is true of most people. DC is really not the kind of city that, say, San Francisco or New York is, where you are too busy getting out and seeing the place to actually bother going to any of the panels. Regardless of one’s opinion of DC you have to admit that next year’s location, San Jose, will offer neoliberalism even less competition than did DC.

3 Comments:

At 12/07/2005 10:48 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Why is "Long French Dinner" capitalised? Is that some inside joke I'm too thick to get? I reckon San Jose would be heaps more fun since at least Costa Rica has nice, sunny weather and beaches.

 
At 12/08/2005 1:42 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Beats me. I was more amused by the neoliberalism cracks.

I think they're going to San Jose, CA. Not Costa Rica.

 
At 12/08/2005 5:05 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Ahh...California not Costa Rica. Still, it too should have sunny weather and beaches, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home