10.5.05

Angst

One hour to go till the scary presentation here at OOD. I am going to talk about how the events of 1 February, 2005 in Nepal (King dismisses parliament and takes over as Emperor, ragtag groups of rebels fight the Empire…wait, wrong text…King dismisses parliament and joins the war on terror) leads to a different construction of insecurity (basically that Nepal didn’t have terrorists before around 2002 and now it does) than before and what this means to US-Nepal relations.

To "fit in" with my presentation, I am dressed “Nepalese”. No, no saris, or bakkhus, or any other exotic gear but just jeans and a regular Nepalese shirt (well, made in Nepal). Or so I thought. Instead, my colleagues told me that the shirt is not “professional” since it “looks like a gypsy” (apparently that is not a look to go for, especially when conducting a seminar).

So, angst. Too late to run home and change now. How come there are all these subtexts to daily academic activities that no one warns us about? I miss TUWSNBN. Really. Not that I am implying there are any fewer rules there but, at least, the rules are more familiar (I think)

1 Comments:

At 5/10/2005 9:00 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Ah. Clearly you didn't get the memo about dressing as if you were the interior of a Buick. It's in the rules. But then, I wear a lot of paisley, so what do I know?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home