30.7.05

Dissertation Blues

I really ought to post an entry about the importance of social networking in spreading information within phd cohorts. That way I could go on about cheap beer and my new favorite bartender (who gave me the name of his tattoo guy: information I intend to use in the very near future.)

Instead, I'm trying to finish a draft of my prospectus for a meeting on Monday with the chair of my committee. I haven't promised to have it done, but it seems like I ought to have something to show for the summer. Other than half a film treatment and a dead tomato plant, that is. So I shall spend the weekend before vacation typing away in my room, even though the weather has (finally!) become bearable.

I offer this tidbit for your enjoyment as penance: the real syllabus that colleges are inflicting on all those poor conservative students.

Alterdestiny

I especially like the middle of the term, when students are given assignments like:

Week 4. Readings--Prince Kropotkin, His Thoughts and Works
The goal of this week is to show why all government is evil and should be destroyed.
Your assignment is to blow up a symbol of capitalism. Or just blow up whatever you can find.

Week 5. Readings--V.I. Lenin, What Is To Be Done?
The goal of this week is to teach you how to instigate a revolution
Your assignment is to preach the oncoming revolution on the streets, to your parents, or in your church.

Week 6. Readings, Immanuel Wallerstein, World-Systems Analysis, An Introduction
The goal of this week is to show how the US controls the world and oppresses all people of color.
Your assignment is to pick one country and show how a revolution will end American dominance over it.

2 Comments:

At 7/30/2005 11:47 PM, Blogger Priya said...

how come we have read most of these books but without the oh-so-brilliant instructions that came with them in this syllabus? imagine structureman/guy adding those notes to the wallerstein we had to read :-)

 
At 7/31/2005 12:29 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I think we were supposed to figure that out for ourselves. I can think of a few people who did. (TheoryGuy comes immediately to mind...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home