4.9.05

(PhD is) always on my mind

So, the Maoists in Nepal have declared a ceasefire for three months. What does this mean for my research? Not too sure, really. I guess I can still keep working on why and how certain groups are constituted as the enemy and, especially, as terrorists. After all, Northern Ireland, my other context in my project, has had an official ceasefire for nearly a decade now and the peace process is continuing.

We had an exchange of emails after I found out about the ceasefire in Nepal. It went along these lines:

E: hey, do you know your Maoists have declared a ceasefire?

P: (not sure I own the Ms but will take them for now): i know. they obviously didn't realise that, as terrorists, they are not supposed to do this until someone tells them to or has some sort of peace plan. blast them. hope this does not ruin my bloody phd. hopefully not.

So, yes, there you have it. In true postgrad student fashion, I was not worried about how this news would affect US-Nepal relationships, the role of the state, the people I know, Maoists, or such but how it would affect ME and MY PhD. I reckon that shows a dedication to the (PhD-ing) cause that should be acknowledged and praised even though I've done no work on it lately. Shows I'm thinking about my research, at least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home