19.4.06

Things to do in DC

As I may have mentioned, my sister and the Genius Nephew are visiting this week. This is good for my ability to do touristy things in DC (and NYC later this week) but not so good for the progress of my research. Still, off we go to find some attraction that we've somehow missed. We tried one of those Top Ten books, but we'd been to nine of the ten. And the tenth is closed today.

This may turn out to be a shopping day. I've been meaning to go to Sephora, anyway. And isn't it the right time of year to gaze longingly at the displays at Kate Spade?

Because what I need is more useless crap cluttering up the apartment, like the huge coffee table that the GN just bashed his head on. Good thing we put plastic on the edges, since he's already wearing my last giant band-aid on his leg.

5 Comments:

At 4/19/2006 11:28 AM, Blogger Priya said...

My (much older than your GN but still a kid, I think!) sister and I enjoyed going to the Monument--great view from up there. Also, there's some random nature parks around where we live (well, "we" being both you and I) and usually they have some good talks. There's always (but you know I'd say this) the Zoo :-)

The Naval Observatory is also good fun but has (had) to be reserved heaps in advance. You might enjoy this though

Had to google to see what a Kate Spade was :-)

 
At 4/19/2006 11:31 AM, Blogger Priya said...

The link doesn't seem to work. Blast. Here it is: http://nmhm.washingtondc.museum/

 
At 4/20/2006 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oo that museum looks to scary for me...good for E's research perhaps, but i don't think GH and sis would be as into it as E is...LOL Then again I could be wrong...

Kate Spade....ah...I have no desire for her really or her products ;)

 
At 4/21/2006 1:35 PM, Blogger Leslie M-B said...

That's too funny--I was just about to recommend that same museum. Way cool, if a bit stomach-churning at times. :)

The National Cathedral is also one of my favorite DC destinations. I feel as if I discover some new part of it each time I visit. And the newish mammal exhibit at the natural history museum is kinda cool, too. I think the American History museum is closing soon for a couple of years, so if it's still open, you might want to fit that in.

If it's operating this season and the weather is nice, it's also worth taking the tour boat from Georgetown (I think--I get the sections of the city mixed up) just below the Watergate Hotel to Old Town Alexandria, and then take the Metro back to the city.

 
At 4/23/2006 1:16 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

How sad is it that I've been to all of these places? And that they've been to most of them? The cathedral's actually one of my absolute favorites--especially in the afternoon, when the light through the stained glass windows is at its brightest.

We ended up doing the C&O boat ride, plus some shopping. It was much more relaxing than NYC.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home