12.4.06

Some not entirely unrelated random things

1. Just because an issue is a stupid issue, and I fully admit that it is a stupid issue, do not assume that I will suddenly be able to ignore the issue. It's a nice idea, but not the way my life / brain / conversational style works. This is something that I'm beginning to feel I need to have printed on a t-shirt.

2. We may be able to turn our sudden obsession with Doctor Who into an interesting and useful professional exercise. Stay tuned to see if we can pull it off before certain upcoming deadlines. So far, the response has been encouraging.

3. If I get 200+ pages of text to edit on Monday, and my boss expects it to be done on Wednesday, am I still working a part-time job? What if I add the requirements from last week of 150+ pages of a new draft, typed and edited, between Monday and Friday? Plus notes from a six hour meeting the week before?

4. The tipping point for the attraction of random grad students to a group avoiding work by sitting in the sun and talking about anything *but* academia is an initial state of three students procrastinating. One person can be ignored, and two participants represent a stable state that attracts only students with a specific reason for joining the conversation, but three or more people means that every grad student within eyesight will, inevitably, gravitate to the conversation. The initial gravitation force cannot be overcome by any sort of deadline or impending meeting.

The ability of a particular grad student to reach an escape velocity and return to work is inversely proportional to the amount of work that needs to be done by that student divided by the number of days before the work is due. [1/V = W/T]

If the weather is *really* nice, W/T can be multiplied by a constant derived from temperature and relative sunniness of the afternoon.

If a professor is participating in the conversation, the reduction in necessary velocity is a complex function of a) the seniority of the professor; b) whether the student currently owes any written materials to said professor; and c) whether said professor has been known to engage students in discussions of theory while drinking beer at a conference.

The precise function required in this case may be one of the great unsolveable equations of the academic universe.

6. My new bag weighs the same amount empty as my old bag. Everything in my new bag came out of my old bag. So why does my new bag now feel twice as heavy as the old one?

7. There is a lot of fanfic about Doctor Who. A lot. An almost staggering amount. At the moment, I don't have time to read any of it.

4 Comments:

At 4/12/2006 10:25 PM, Blogger Priya said...

1. No, it won't go away and it's not stupid. But, it's not a good idea to get hung up on "normal". It's far more fun positioning oneself as abnormal. Read new SuperF on this :-)

2. Yes, indeed. I think we can. I sent off an advert and am hoping for the best. I reckon we should get others at TUWSNBN into this, just to mess with them.

3. Claim overtime.

4. It's well-documented (including by many personal experiments) that sun+sand+sea=excessive distractions+no work. Today, we didn't even need the last two.

We were talking about academia. And swear words. And body parts. And the Doctor.

5. was missing from your post, E

6. Who knows? One of the unanswerable questions of life

7. I still don't get this Doctor immersion (though am off to watch XMas invasion again ;-))

8. I'll add one: At least you didn't have BigHead asking you about X, who "used to be here when you used to be active in many things". I didn't get a chance to point out that a) Now is as active as I've ever been and b) he's probably thinking of some other woman (the story of my time at TUWSNBN so far)

 
At 4/13/2006 12:25 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

3. Hah. Overtime. I wish.

4. I must have missed the academic part.

5. Knew there was something I was forgetting. Oh well. Think it was about the inability to ignore gestures from professors.

7. Perhaps it's a cultural thing? Or the result of an addictive personality type?

8. True, this. But it also makes me remember what should have been my last question: is my hair really such a different color that everyone must comment on it? The last time so many people noticed it, I had bleached it blonde and added red, green, and blue stripes. This is hardly at the same magnitude.

 
At 4/13/2006 1:08 AM, Blogger Priya said...

See? You get noticed (a big first step in academia). I remain invisible and then get confused with some other girl. Pshaw!

 
At 4/13/2006 2:12 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Guess you should try changing your hair color. I have some green dye, if you want to use it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home