10.4.06

This one is definitely not about television.

So. I’ve got a song stuck in the back of my mind. It’s been there for days, ever since Friday afternoon, and seems to have settled in for the duration. I blame the people who interrupted me in the middle of it with something about Bolivians. Or maybe it was Libyans?

Either way, I’ve got more important things that I ought to be worrying about. And it’s April, and we’ve been woefully remiss in the poetry department, what with all the television analysis.

I’m giving it to you, in the hopes it’ll get stuck in your head instead, and I won’t have to write anything about it, or about anything that it may remind me of. Good luck.

Won't Give In—The Finn Brothers

You call me up, I'll say a few words
But I'll try not to speak too long
Please to be kind and I'll try to explain
I'll probably get it all wrong
What does it mean when you promise someone
That no matter how hard or whatever may come

It means that I won't give in, won't give in, won't give in
'Cause everyone I love is here
Play it once and disappear

Once in a while I return to the fold
And people I call my own
Even if time is just a flicker of light
And we all have to die alone
What does it mean when you belong to someone
When you're born with a name, when you carry it on

It means that I won't give in, won't give in, won't give in
'Cause everyone I love is here
All at once, and I'll show you how to get real

Come on now, come on now, can you feel it, I can see it in ya
Come on now, come on now, reveal it, turn around won't ya
The right time, the right place, right now, turn around

A chance is made, a chance is lost, I carry myself to the edge of the earth

It means that I won't give in, won't give in, won't give in
'Cause everyone I love is here
Say it once, just say it, and disappear

4 Comments:

At 4/10/2006 9:22 PM, Blogger Priya said...

At least you won't be arrested for being a potential terrorist with this song.

I saw Neil Finn at the 9:30 club in my first concert there. Brilliant stuff and the man is absolutely great in concert.

Btw, did you hear that Split Enz have reuninted and are touring? Only in Australia so far but I'm hoping they make it to this side of the Pacific too in the future.

 
At 4/11/2006 10:21 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

True. It's not at all terroristy. Had heard they were back together, but no real hope that I'll get to see them. Or even the Finn Brothers, which would be fabulous. (I'm get quite annoyed that I can't just go around calling everything fantastic. Such a useful word.)

 
At 4/12/2006 5:37 PM, Blogger Priya said...

I can--I often say "fantastic" but it doesn't sound the same in a Nepali accent ;-)

Why can't you say it? I reckon our new plan to take over Small Regional Conference is fantastic!

 
At 4/13/2006 12:27 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

So I can use it, maybe. Great, because it's a wonderful word to throw in at totally random points in a conversation.

I should note that, as I was listening to the same song when I arrived at TUWSNBN today, it's once again stuck in my head. Argh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home