29.8.06

no televisions


Okay, so I'm busy thinking pleasant thoughts. Like this, which I swiped from Wikipedia (yes, Peter, the source of all evil. But it was easier than hunting down one of my own photos.)

That, Loyal Reader, is a picture of the Canadian Shield. Taken, unless I'm very much mistaken (and I'm not, I've seen it every year for 20-some *mumble mumble I hate birthdays* years) just down the highway from where my parents are right now.

There are water lilies in the pond during the summer.

According to my mom, they've been having trouble with a bear taking out the birdfeeders. She's guessing that now that there are people around again, the bear will find somewhere else to hang out. I think that last bit's meant to be soothing.

Four days. I just have to get through four more days. I can do this. Right?

ETA: The DVDs are here! Best to put Slings & Arrows away until vacation, but there's no way I'll be able to wait until then to see HCL again. Can't do it. Not going to try. I think I'm going to need a pick-me-up at the end of this week, so it's definitely going on the "watch me the very minute that eveything's turned in" list.

ETA2: Holy shit. Paul Gross is brilliant. I mean, yes, I knew he was brilliant. But wow. Holy shit.

Also, Callum Keith Rennie remains the most awesome fake punk guitarist in the history of anything.

Okay, back to studying. Or, really, more like "back to taking deep calming breaths and praying that I manage to string complete sentences together into something resembling an argument. Preferably in English."

10 Comments:

At 8/29/2006 8:19 PM, Blogger Priya said...

I live in non-wilderness and still don't have the telly.

Since you're talking to your Mum, I assume there is a cell phone that works.

 
At 8/29/2006 9:27 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

It's a quote. Seemed appropriate. And I think they have a television up there; it just doesn't get any stations because of the trees / distance / lack of programming.

She's been using a calling card. I don't know if the phones are on or not (they have a phone line, I think) but if they aren't she usually drives down to the Post and calls from the phone booth every couple of days.

I'll have to get a photo for you--there's a life-size moose statue out front that the owner paints every spring. Kind of cool.

When I get back, you *must* come over and watch the new dvds with us. You'll appreciate them, I think. Very Shakespearean.

Also, CKR. Who is his own drawing point, what with being a total dick and yet still very attractive.

 
At 8/29/2006 9:49 PM, Blogger Priya said...

I am still bemused by your definition of what constitutes a fanciable bloke.

Up for DVD-watching whenever. Still want to watch the Doctor on the big(ger) screen.

 
At 8/29/2006 10:48 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh, you haven't seen the knife licking scene, have you? That's why you don't understand. Go to youtube and search for CKR and knife licking. You'll thank me.

Actually, there're several HCL scenes up there. All good. And some damn funny stuff from S&A, including the flaming horses scene.

/off to panic some more/

 
At 8/30/2006 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've seen the knife licking and it is good stuff!

 
At 8/30/2006 4:40 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

See? Serena agrees with me! (And when I get back, you're sitting down to watch it, right? We can make a night of drinking and eating unhealthy food and watching pretty boys act like total fuckups!)

 
At 8/30/2006 9:59 PM, Blogger Priya said...

can we each bring our own (video, of course, since I don't have a Real one) pretty boy to show off? I wonder if Netflix does Seachange episodes. Or, old Eric Bana shows.

 
At 8/31/2006 9:56 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Only if the pretty boys are also total shits. That's a requirement. They must not be nice boys as well, because that ruins the whole thing. It's all about wanting things that are tempting but bad for you.

 
At 8/31/2006 1:06 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Seachange then--Diver Dan totally fits the bill :-)
Though, rewatching them now on the Beeb, I realise Sean Bean as Sharpe might too.

 
At 9/02/2006 8:22 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm okay with adding them to the list. The more the merrier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home