9.10.06

when you're doing that thing

I got the stats log for the last two weeks today. And there was this *huge* spike in traffic at the end of September / beginning of October.

This is strange, I thought to myself. Why are there suddenly 800 people reading our quiet little blog? Neither of us has jumped off a building this week, we seem to have stayed out of the local newpaper, and I'm pretty sure my mother hasn't handed out the URL at any recent Tupperware parties.

I am a (potential) academic. Academics do research. So I did research. I clicked on the tiny little button (that one, over on the right) that connects to all the other blogs that link to ptsd.

In general this button turns up eight people who use the dc blogroll, and one kid in an Edmonton basement looking for Headstones lyrics.

This time, it turned up Wonkette.

Now, I've been reading our blog (I have to, because I write some of it. You can slack off, Loyal Reader, but when *I* wander away for a few days, all hell breaks loose) and nothing we've written recently is terribly political.

Sure, we've been talking about culture. German film. More culture. And I'm pissed at people who link ability to gender. Priya's teaching. I'm watching ESPN. We're both avoiding papers that need to be written.

But that's no different than our usual fare.

I looked a little further. What possible combination of words could have turned the eyes of Washington's political snark our way?

Neil Gaiman. Church. Breasts.

Yep, that's right. It's all Priya's fault. Again.

Neil Gaiman is a tits man. In church, no less. All (both) of this (these) can be yours, tonight. [PTSD]


From the Wonkette Metro Section.

2 Comments:

At 10/09/2006 2:34 PM, Blogger Priya said...

OMG. Feel hugely embarrassed this time. Hugely. NG fans are sure to cut me dead in the future. Dead. I'll have to change my name or something though I hope Wonkette readers and NG fans are exclusive groups (no one I know, except you + S, knows of NG).

That's the diff between us, E: You see something and try figure out its cause (spike in readership); I saw the same numbers and thought (v briefly, which is about as much thoughts stay in my head): "Oh, loads of people are reading PTSD. I wonder why?" and that was it.

 
At 10/09/2006 5:52 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Of course, the result is the same. People came to read, and we talked about sports, television, and how annoying students can be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home