29.9.07

those crazy academics

Yes, I'm finally catching up with my non-university readings so that's why you are getting all this. I did save the best for last.

Check out the "Academics: Still Totally Lame" post over at Cosmic Variance, which discusses a Chronicle article on what "guilty pleasures" academics have.

Then, read the comments which include:

There are plenty of professors who like dressing up in gender-inappropriate undergarments, using cocaine, kabbalah, shooting assault rifles, etc. In fact, I’d be willing to bet that on balance, academics have an above-average level of perversity and general weirdness. (Proof: they’re fairly imaginative people with loads of time on their hands.) But their continued employment rests on their seeming to be respectable.

Or, something to look forward to:

Ah, but once you have tenure it's all edible panties, firearms and blow.

and dodgy-behaviour:

Has NO ONE here ever gotten drunk/stoned with one of his/her professors?

Good grief, what is the world coming to?

Oh, and the comments at the original Chronicle article include this by "Musclememor":

Skipping my classes to cruise for young gay dudes
Strip clubs and gun running, snorting crushed quaaludes
Stealing department chairs' gold wedding rings
These are a few of my favorite things

When the urge strikes
When the day's long
When I'm feeling caged
I simply skip off to my favorite things
And leave my TA's
Enraged

Ditching a conference to drink with a minor
Poison-tipped arrows I'll fire at a shriner
Undergrads — they're all just fodder for flings
These are a few of my favorite things

Grading by chance, to make students' lives tragic
Sorcery, witchcraft, and vampire blood magic
Parking on homeless folk, plucking off wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Thank you Cosmic Variance, the Chronicle and random academics. I've been born again. Really.

ETA: And from the Guardian, via Crooked Timber, the utterly (un)predictable guilty pastime of Anthony Giddens is....wrestling.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home