14.2.06

More quotes...for Valentine's day

It's St Valentine's day in this part of the world (and, due to the wonders of Hallmark, in other parts of the world too, I gather) and I presume my fellow blogger, whom I nearly drove mad at times during this past weekend (more on that later) and who possesses nerves of steel and the patience of a whatever (something that's really really patient) is off doing useful stuff.

So, it behooves me to bring to you, loyal readers, the P.G. Wodehouse quote generator.

A few illustrations of what you may find:

Describing a bloke:
"He looked haggard and careworn, like a Borgia who has suddenly remembered that he has forgotten to shove cyanide in the consomme, and the dinner-gong due any moment."

On being in love (and being bad at golf):
"Reggie's was a troubled spirit these days. He was in love and he had developed a bad slice with his mid-iron. He was practically a soul in torment"

And, on Life:
" I spent the afternoon musing on Life. If you come to think of it, what a queer thing Life is! So unlike anything else, don't you know, if you see what I mean."

Some familiarity with the books and the people involved helps but, really, it's lovely and soothing to see how the man writes.

Quote at your significant other(s), those whom you want to be your SOs or just enjoy them while you're flitting about on PTSD.

Thanks to Crooked Timber for the link.

8 Comments:

At 2/14/2006 3:26 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hee. I'm in a much better mood after BW lecture last night--am working on a post about it. I'd like to videoblog a piece from the speech, but have to figure out how to do it.

Also, I am total crap with being sympathetic, so I still have done nothing about the other thing. Am torn between several options and therefore have done and said nothing at all.

I'm so much better with snarky comments, and I'm always afraid that being sincere will be read as sarcasm. Argh.

I realize how self-centered it is to worry about this, I really do. But there's not a lot I can do about that, is there?

 
At 2/14/2006 6:11 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Oh, a videoblog would be good fun. My computer's back to not working which leads me to think it might be my home network that's the problem rather than the computer. Can't be bothered to care right now though and am trying to work on Uni stuff.

I agree about the sympathetic part. I have managed to say/do nothing but then I was (am?) less involved. I'm assuming we are talking about the same thing.

Not self-centred. Self-centred would be if you didn't give a rat's a..e and said so. This is just "normal" angst.

 
At 2/15/2006 12:23 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh, well, in that case...

 
At 2/15/2006 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

angst about the holiday?

 
At 2/15/2006 2:50 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

No, angst about something in RL that isn't appropriate for the blog but is a matter of great concern for me, given my widely known inability to grasp the concept of sincerity.

On a totally unrelated note, are you planning to go to BAM tonight?

 
At 2/16/2006 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah as you can tell I didn't remember to go...LOL i need phone call reminders I am afraid! otherwise i spend my afternoon from 4 to 7 sleeping on the couch!

 
At 2/17/2006 11:14 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I don't blame you--I love a good nap. Maybe next week for the writing thing.

 
At 2/19/2006 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps if you have dug yourself out of your work hole...lol interested in seeing pandas on feb. 28 at around 1pmish?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home