20.2.06

Northwards, ho!

Since I live most of my life vicariously through the lives of others and have always been fond of "adventure" stories, I thought I'd point yous in the direction of this news story on the BBC (where else?) about an explorer who is about to travel to three of the four (Northern) poles. No, no jokes about Poles, please.

Following on from my previous (Wisconsin conference) post about "if I had one-tenth of this attitude, I'd have finished my PhD by now", this bloke suffered from Necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating disease) the last time he tried this and is still going ahead.

You can follow his route and what he's doing on the BBC Online website where it says he'll be "filing regular reports". Imagine that 100 years ago--the Amundsen-Scott journeys and their aftermaths would have been a fun, if often gruesome, read.

5 Comments:

At 2/20/2006 4:16 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Okay, seriously, I'm in danger of turning this into the West Wing fanblog. I think someone needs to take away my posting privileges until after March 12th.

But then, OMG, how could I *not* be hopping around my living room like an idiot after downloading the promo? Seriously, that just wasn't possible.

There was actual, honest-to-god, squeeing. I always thought it was just an expression.

*Off to watch the clip some more, rather than working on the dissertation.*

 
At 2/20/2006 5:31 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Have no idea what you're on about but find the image of you squeeing hugely entertaining.

Have decided we each need an obsession--WW for you, footy for me--that can be a common thread through the posts. At least your interest is/can be IR-related. Mine, on the other hand, just shows that I'm odd.

And, being unemployed has NOT meant more work on PhD but playing chess online.

 
At 2/21/2006 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two need more focus! or maybe the topics are bad and youneed new more interesting ones...like what WW says about the state of politics today! :)

 
At 2/22/2006 3:54 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

My shiny new eye doctor says that I don't lack focus, I'm just not very good at focusing. Whatever that means.

 
At 2/23/2006 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah what a card he is...that droll doc. of yours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home