15.2.06

Some random West Wing love

Upon arriving back in DC from my favorite place to live, I ventured over to American University from TUWSNBN because they, as a good little place of higher education and liberal indoctrination of the youth of the nation, had invited Bradley Whitford to speak.

[Our loyal internet reader may be aware of my deep and abiding love for all things West Wing, and, in particular, the character of Josh Lyman. We do not answer the phone on Sunday nights, and the West Wing is one of only three television shows that we own on dvd at my house. I have even been known to join message boards and list-servs dedicated to the Sorkin Years. This event, in my small world of research, writing, watching television, and conferencing, is a Very Big Deal.]

It was a great speech, and a good reminder that not all things fabulous are in Chicago.* And I'm able to share a small piece of it with you, in the form of the answer he gave to a (quite sensible, in my opinion) question about the resolution of the Josh and Donna storyline.

This remark was prefaced by some stuff about how consummation, in television, ruins the tension between characters. The audience responded to this obviously ridiculous statement with boos, leading BW to remark something along the lines of "You're booing consummation?" and a brief story about visiting his mother recently, to whom he said:

AU video

[ETA: Never mind, I fixed the video. And now I can put up the rest of the clips tonight.]

This, in all honesty, was the coolest Valentine's Day gift ever.**

* Then again, BW is from Madison, Wisconsin--our last port-of-call before Chi-town.

** Not that I wasn't pleased with the gifts I got from S. this year.*** Audrey Hepburn dvds and Mr. Sketch markers are also a very cool present. They're like childhood memories in a box. Or, in this case, a gift bag stolen out of the top of my closet.

*** I think he liked his gifts, as well. One of them was a Guinness t-shirt I picked up in Oak Park, with all the writing in gaelic. The other is none of your business, loyal internet reader.

8 Comments:

At 2/15/2006 3:23 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Two n's in Guinness, E!!! Ah...how I longed for that moment when I could spellcheck you :-)

 
At 2/15/2006 3:27 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh, come on! That was left for Serena to comment on!

Now I"m going to have to fix it, and she won't even be able to see it. Spoilsport.

Hey, does your computer recognize the video link?

 
At 2/15/2006 3:39 PM, Blogger Priya said...

heh. I still claim it as an error. Makes me happy

yes, it goes to the video but I get nothing. Not sure if that's because my computer's been below par lately, as you know, or because of your link issues.

Though as I know if neither Josh nor Donna, I wasn't as devastated by the link not working.

Totally procrastinating: read all footy news, became nostalgic about Monkey and read all sorts of blogs. If this is life in unemployment, I need a job soon!

 
At 2/15/2006 3:49 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Update: The video does work, E, except I couldn't actually make out what he says in the second half of it, which ruined the joke :-)

 
At 2/16/2006 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL you two really are hilarious...and I would have noticed that misspelling instantly if I had read it before P. so I not to know what the other present was eh? was it lewd and unmentionable...LOL :)

So what's on for san diego?

 
At 2/16/2006 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, Tell S I'm Jealous! of his shirt that is.

 
At 2/17/2006 11:11 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Maybe he'll take it to San Diego, and you can steal it.

 
At 2/19/2006 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dunno i almost stole it yesterday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home