23.2.06

Sometimes, we do jump

Last evening, I was standing watching a group of people in front of me when this bloke came up and started talking. The conversation went like this:
Him: Hi, are you by yourself?
Me: yes
Him: all alone?
Me: (that's what "by myself" means, isn't it?) umm..yes
Him: You want to hang with us? (I'd actually not heard of "hang with" before. Hang out with, yes. Hang with, no. Rather like fruit bats, it seemed)
Me: No, thanks, I'm all right.
Him: But, it's awkward....by yourself
Me: No, I'm fine.
Him: Well, if you feel awkward...we're there (pointed to the side of the room)

Now, in case yous are wondering why some stranger would come up, voluntarily start a conversation and then ask some other person (me) to join his group, let me clarify by saying that I was at a concert. The Flogging Molly concert, to be precise, which was absolutely magnificent. Even then, it was rather odd that I'd been singled out. I've been to pubs (football-watching is usually a solitary exercise) by myself and even concerts by myself but hardly anyone comes up for a chat. Even if they do, people don't often point out that I may be "awkward" alone.

Turns out, I wasn't awkward at all. Instead, I jumped up and down like one of those yoyo things. Let me clarify why: I can't dance. Nepali folk are genetically programmed not to be able to dance and any time I try dancing, I look like I'm trying out for the Ministry of Silly Walks instead of actually dancing. I thoroughly enjoy jumping though on a semi-regular basis. Celtic-rock/punk is brilliant to jump to. So, I spent most of three hours jumping like someone on an automated pogo stick.

I'm planning on putting this concert-going experience in the category of research since the band was Celtic-rock/punk (though from Los Angeles. Well, the lead singer is from Dublin so that counts, right?). I had dressed the part in green trousers, a faded green t-shirt and a green and pink scarf that E gave me for Xmas. Btw, have yous noticed that the lead singers of most of these punk-style bands seem to look more like your stereotypical absent-minded professor than Johnny Rotten or Joe Strummer? This bloke (he had glasses on as well) would fit into bignamemeeting perfectly. Probably far more than (none suit-owning) I will.

On my walk home through the neighbourhood where I live (where not a single person was about, making it dark, foggy and rather perfect for a potential vampire/zombie encounter), I was thinking about things that make me feel awkward. It's not going to pubs/concerts alone but rather talking to people I don't know. I am starting to dread bignamemeeting already. An academic-in-training who doesn't fancy talking. Well, someone has to be it.

6 Comments:

At 2/23/2006 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...should have joined them for a spot of convo...might have been interesting given the comment about awkwardness in being alone...that's a convo starter right there. Perhaps he thought you cute...

 
At 2/23/2006 12:11 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Nah...I was taught not to talk to strangers...Besides, I figured conversation would detract from the absolutely enjoyable music :-)

 
At 2/24/2006 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose that is true...music does seem to be the much better option...he may have been creepy in stalking creep kind of way!

 
At 2/24/2006 1:03 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

You were hopping, not jumping. For the record. I say this because today there was more jumping, only this time it was because when the PT said "are you ready for more jumping?" his assistant took him literally.

Turns out he was joking, and I could have skipped the jumping this morning. Not that he mentioned this until I'd already finished.

Stupid therapy. I don't need to be hopping up and down at concerts, so I fail to see how this is helpful. Maybe he wants me to be able to jump quickly away from stalkers at concerts?

 
At 2/25/2006 9:58 PM, Blogger Priya said...

E, you may soon be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

 
At 2/28/2006 1:15 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Somehow that doesn't sound like a good thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home