25.4.06

The closest we ever get to talking about DC

We might as well be living in Peoria, for all the time we spend talking about DC around here. Maybe it's a case of not seeing what's right under our noses, or maybe we just get tired of the whole business card and political outrage life, but for a while now, the only DC-related posting I've been doing has been to comment on episodes of the West Wing.

And who am I to break with tradition?

I've got a separate post on television and depictions of trauma in the works, so I'm going to skip my comments on how good Bradley Whitford is at portraying a guy who is walking a thin edge between dedication and mania. As well as any comparisons to the way Christopher Eccleston walks the same line. But have no fear, that discussion is on the way soon. Probably after I regain the ability to stand up without feeling like the room is spinning, and around the same time I manage to get caught up on several things that I've promised to write for people who, you know, actually pay me.

But who needs coherence to talk about television? Not me.

This week's episode was, as I sort of predicted last week, better than the last. I'm glad BW is already signed to Sorkin's next project, as I'd hate to have to go watch Billy Madison again just to get a fix. He, along with the rest of the cast, is so good at conveying emotion that it's a crime to show Law and Order on the same network.

Or ER, which is generally cringe-worthy, and even more so when there are events like helicopter and plane crashes. I've lived in Chicago, and I'm sorry, I just don't understand the need to blow stuff up to make it seem edgy and dangerous.

What really annoys me, though, is that all of the West Wing actors--who are giving stellar performances, episode after episode--were capable of so much more than the scripts they've been given in the past few seasons. That the reason the show has been cancelled, and the reason the ratings are so low, is that the writing was generally crap and the producers (I'm looking at you, John Wells) didn't know what to do with the show. When there was a good script, or great direction, it was the exception rather than the rule, and only served to make the rest of the episodes look worse in comparison.

Why did they wait until now to step it up again? Can someone explain this to me?

10 Comments:

At 4/25/2006 6:09 PM, Blogger Priya said...

I thought you were going to talk about the anti-Genocide march on Sunday. I was told today (when I said I probably wouldn't be marching) that "How can you not be against Genocide?"...I floundered when answering (which is the story of my life and is going to trip me up during my defence. I can just see that)

Btw, saw my first-ever West Wing episode on Sunday and can't believe the show's being cancelled. Sheesh! And, they keep Fear Factor on. Sometimes, American telly confuses me.

 
At 4/26/2006 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nevermind fear factor...why is ER still ON!

 
At 4/26/2006 11:25 AM, Blogger Bionic-Woman said...

Just when Rob came back too :-(. I love the BW and RL banter too....the writing was definitely better but still much less snarky than the first couple of years...I miss that...and even more so now that "Sam" is back. Umm did I ever mention that "Sam" was my absolute fav.

I don't think you and I might ever run the same risk of descending into mania like "Josh". Hmm actually since my work is my life these days it's beginning to feel like it :-(.

 
At 4/26/2006 11:26 AM, Blogger Bionic-Woman said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4/26/2006 11:27 AM, Blogger Bionic-Woman said...

Oh and nopes no answer to your last question...although if they went back to the original line-up both behind and in-front of the camera barring the obvious impossible one then I'd gladly start the petition to bring it back.

 
At 4/26/2006 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so P is in favor of genocide or just against protesting?

 
At 4/26/2006 2:50 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Just not protesting this weekend as all my spare time is spent in obsessing about the Doctor :-)

Not against protesting in general.

 
At 4/27/2006 10:12 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Never did get the Rob Lowe squeeing. I generally thought Sam was a bit of an overoptimistic twit.

I've always been a big fan of Bradley Whitford, though, so I'll be sad to see his character go. Gotta love those broken-yet-determined guys.

Protest? Are we going to a protest? I love a good protest!

 
At 4/27/2006 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love protests myself; i'm a deviant...guess no political office in my future.

 
At 4/28/2006 7:38 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

No, I think that makes you pretty normal for around here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home