25.4.06

DW and god(s)

Although I strongly object to Priya's characterization of Tennant as the Rather Fanciable Doctor, I have to admit that it's a bit shorter than my alternative, which would be "The New Doctor Who Wouldn't Really Be Able to Fill Out Eccleston's Jacket." That said, we're working on some actual posts about DW and other things that are important. But since I'm sick (probably a result of too little sleep, cold and wet walking last weekend, and prolonged exposure to the Genius Nephew's "germs of first grade greatest hits collection"), and Priya's working, you get a chat transcript in the meantime. Have no fear, it's very short.

Elizabeth: I wish you'd never mentioned this [Doctor Who and God]--now I'm sitting here thinking of all the god references in the new shows. There's the bit with the daleks at the end of last season, too--with the concept of blasphemy, etc.

Whoops, forgot one god reference--the monks are chanting "lupus deus
est" (deum? whatever, it means god)

Priya: Wolf is god or wolf god is?? (Yes, dodgy French--btw, i could read bits of Agamben in French over the weekend--feel rather proud of myself though a bit worried that i would be reading Agamben when, really, i should be refreshing my Tilly and SuperF :-))

Off to really obsess some more.

Elizabeth: Latin--the wolf is god, written as wolf-god-is.

Priya: Wait-- I should have said I could read some French guy's rants on Agamben

Even weirder...

Also, there's all that stuff in the Xmas invasion in which Rose goes on an on about not having anyone to "save us" and Harriet Jones' Xmas speech in which she calls upon the Doctor to "help up. please help us" (and the later speech trying to wrest control away?)

This could go on forever. Bugger.

Some time later (it seems like going on forever)...

Priya: I am right now finding heaps of references just in the RFD series...So maybe a couple of references to last season or else the blog post will be a novel(I was thinking Boom Town but the Daleks are a good one--especially now that Whatshisname as God there and the RFD as one now...)

Elizabeth: oh, but Boom Town is good, too--all that stuff about the Doctor being a bad god, because you'd never get a day off.

Priya: Off to obsess some more when REALLY I should be reading KKV (recommended for defence) or figuring out agent-structure.

Elizabeth: Yech. Not KKV.

Sums up both our feelings pretty well, that statement.

8 Comments:

At 4/25/2006 12:44 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Hot buttered rum...or whisky with honey or a really hot Tom Yam soup are my recommendations for getting rid of a cold.

Yes, am working on a Doctor/God post (really, shouldn't we be writing on other stuff too?) and am waiting to hear of your PTSD one.

 
At 4/25/2006 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sleep...i recommend sleep...lots of sleep

 
At 4/25/2006 5:34 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Slept all day (literally all day--went to PT at 8:30 this morning, came home and fell asleep, then just woke up when S called to check on me) and I still feel like crap. Couldn't be bothered to make something healthy to eat, so I had leftover mac and cheese and jello salad. So now I feel sick to my stomach, too. I'm such a bad sick person.

 
At 4/25/2006 6:07 PM, Blogger Priya said...

I keep telling you--Thai soup and/or alcohol. Lots of healthy stuff there.

Also, KKV book has a nice cover picture. Does that count as its (only) useful point?

 
At 4/27/2006 10:09 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Bleh. This is the cold that wouldn't end.

KKV cover is only useful if you tear it off, frame it, and throw the rest of the book in the trash.

Although it's nice for propping up the short leg on a table.

 
At 4/27/2006 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is the KKV?

 
At 4/28/2006 12:39 PM, Blogger Priya said...

A scary monster that has taken over social science and is often brought out (though in disguise) to beat unsuspecting students over the head with.

 
At 4/28/2006 7:39 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I've always thought of it as a hydra. Cut one head off, three grow back. Bit like the perestroika movement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home