11.5.06

No, for once, it's not about the Doctor

or not quite. Since PTSD so loves lists, here's another one for you. Thiis is all about me. Me. Since, I'm oh-so-fascinating:

1. Flunkieness at the LS continues. The more time I spend there, the more I realise how much I would hate it if being a flunkie was my only option for the future. I reckon I'm an utter snob even to write that sentence since people do spend their lives flunkie-ing (though it's called posh names like "Media services facilitator", which means the person who flicks on the switch which turns on a projector somewhere). This leads to no. 2

2. I have a job for the Fall. Sort of, as it's only a verbal confirmation but it's a job all the same. I will be teaching a class. An entire class all by myself with my name on it. Can I write fantastic here? I just did.

It probably does not bode well that the 3 people (apart from E) who have been told about said job have had expressions on their faces which (hopefully) denote happy surprise. It could well be horror at having me let loose on a bunch of unsuspecting students, especially those learning this particular topic. Let me just write that it is not the usual course that PhD students are offered. Maybe that's why the looks of (I refuse to call it dread) happy surprise came about? I can only hope.

This job means...

3. I will be here for the rest of the year. Any potential fieldwork not involving spending much time in musty depths of dark libraries will have to be shelved. Since I don't plan on dragging this PhD-ing process much longer (yes, I'm in a "let's get this over quickly and get the quickest possible job" mood these days), that may or may not be a good thing. I shall keep yous updated.

4. Only two days till the new Doctor. Two days. And this episode involves Cybermen. Cybermen in any fashion can only be a good thing.

5. And, I have to write about E. E and another mate ended up planning a surprise party today with military precision, organising things and gathering up the rest of us (who milled about like sheep, often getting in each other's way) and ensuring everything worked out well. It was probably the only occasion where the surprise party was actually a surprise. The free food afterwards was much appreciated.

6. On that note, off to eat said free food while spending more time in TUWSNBN's PhD office, trying to write that 50-page paper which (shhhh!) I've not actually started yet. Oh, it's due next week. Yup. Loads of time. Loads. Perhaps this would be a good time to flee the country/state instead.

A non-rambling, well thought out post about something useful follows at some future date (Yous know it doesn't. I have to write that in case E thinks I'm hijacking PTSD for nefarious ends like me, me, me). In the meantime, keep your eyes peeled (and visit PTSD often) for who-knows-what. Maybe E will write more on the Surprise.

4 Comments:

At 5/12/2006 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well sounds like you are well on your way to becoming productive...maybe...hee hee

 
At 5/12/2006 11:38 AM, Blogger Priya said...

Maybe. One can only hope, eh? Yous should join us for the Doctor on Sunday!

 
At 5/12/2006 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

alas i am working sunday...1130 to 630pm :(

 
At 5/12/2006 2:55 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

That's about when we get together. We should make this an open invite--anybody reading the comments who wants to get together and watch the newest semi-legal episode with us is officially invited over Sunday night for the 7:00 showing.

We can order chinese and snark about the new cybermen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home