9.6.06

After four years' wait

The World Cup finally started today. Expect to hear very little non-footy related blogging from me in the next four weeks. Initial thoughts? The opening ceremony seemed extravagantly wasteful--who knew that Claudia Schiffer was a brilliant footy player, eh? They didn't have much for the female viewers watching--probably thought all those muscles and shorts on display would be enough. Personally, I could have done with a bit of shirt-swapping pictures at the end of the matches but ESPN, in its wisdom, cut off the programme right before players started doffing their kits*.
In actual football news, Germany won easily and I realised I actually rather like the German team, a sentiment I wouldn't have expressed at previous World Cups. Tomorrow: England versus Paraguay (and England has three Liverpool/former Liverpool players) and also me leaving on my trip to that terrorism thing.


* No, I'm not one of those female viewers/journos that Alistair Campbell** derided in his blog (everyone and their dog has a blog these days) for suddenly, once every four years, thinking their views on football are of import to the world. I think my views on football are of import, if not to the entire world then to the PTSD-reading world, pretty much every day of every year.

** And, if that post wasn't a blatant attempt to get a reaction (which, so far, it has gotten a lot of), then I don't know what is. I wonder what E and I could do to get a similar reaction? Unfortunately, as neither of us are former press secretaries to Prime Ministers, whatever we do probably won't be enough.

3 Comments:

At 6/13/2006 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL you are too funny, have you been able to watch much of the cup given the terrorism workshoppy?

I saw the portugal v. angola game....those are my favorites...well portugal anyways. there is a manchester united player on the Port team you know...

 
At 6/13/2006 2:37 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Yes, Ronaldo. He falls over his feet quite often.

 
At 6/14/2006 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

indeed he does priya

 

Post a Comment

<< Home