6.7.06

Musings upon an (unexpectedly) technology-laden life

PTSD readers cannot have failed to notice that I usually prefer leaving things-that-need-to-be-done until such a stage as they have to be done or else dire consequences will follow or try find ways and means by which other people, usually far better at doing them than me, will do it. This summer, part of my TA-ing gig involves filming* and then editing various videos taken during different lectures. The plan, an admirable one, is to put the lectures online so that the students who were there can access them from the comfort of their own homes and those who weren't there but were enrolled in the programmes can watch what they missed. Unfortunately for all concerned, I am the only TA around, meaning there is no one else to palm this off on.**

This leads to two things:

1. I am not what yous may call a dab hand at editing film. I do not use Macs. I am more comfortable working with my (much-derided but still alive) Acer or even with the (quite dodgy at times) Dells TUWSNBN has all around. Unfortunately, the media centre at uni works with Macs. Specifically, it works with Final Cut Pro, software that I've never used before. Ever. So, I'll be using a new type of computer (what's with all those icons at the bottom of the screen that jump out at you eh?) and using new software to get things done.

2. There're hours upon hours of video to edit, cut into manageable pieces and put online. All those tasks are not tasks I have had any experience in. I don't particularly fancy being the one person who shows up in the centre all the time and constantly asks for help on how to use Final Cut. I think I have started to notice a wild look in the eyes of the Student Assistants (who are enormously helpful) as soon as they see me wander into the room. And this is before my proposed marathon-sessions next week in which I am going to try to a) take a crash course in learning how to put video online and b) actually do that for most of the filmed lectures.***


* The less said about that the better. Let me just say that the best videos are those where I was not involved in any capacity and wasn't even present. That should say something about my camera and editing skills. I have my strengths but filming and editing are not among them though it seems like I can add "Proficient in use of Final Cut Pro" (to "published author". Hurrah! I got my copy of the Book last week. Did I mention that already?) to my CV.

** Yes, yes, I'm sure yous are thinking of all the expensive equipment and me in close combination with them but, trust me, I've been a model of efficiency so far. So far. I've no idea how much longer that will last but I'm trying to take a leaf out of the Lawyers' Handbook and give a good impression of someone who knows what they are doing.

*** E, thankfully, did not film herself giving her lectures but, instead, did some funky stuff herself meaning I don't have to worry about her classes at all. That still leaves loads of classes (four or five, I think and each with about 3-4 hours of video) to edit/splice/turn into film/put online. After all this, teaching in the Fall should be a breeze, right? Right?

ETA: No, I didn't write an entire book on my own--that's what the dissertation's for. I did, however, have a chapter in a recently-published book.

6 Comments:

At 7/07/2006 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do i get to see said byline?

 
At 7/07/2006 12:27 PM, Blogger Priya said...

On the book? It's too heavy to carry about and I've left it at Uni. It looks super cool though :)

 
At 7/10/2006 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol you should have beths take a photo of the byline and post it on the site...or can i order said book on amazon? or should i say take a look at bylines on amazon or at said library somewheres?

 
At 7/11/2006 12:36 AM, Blogger Priya said...

Will bring it with me next time E has a party at hers and share it around. Probably the only good thing in my life right now.

 
At 7/11/2006 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

o stop, i'm sure there are other good things in your life! Just glow from the excitement of being published.

 
At 7/12/2006 12:59 AM, Blogger Priya said...

Glowing :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home