2.7.06

The Fine Art of Teaching and Learning

Quite possibly shocking the PTSD readership and proving that I do write of other things apart from football and Doctor Who, I'd like to tell yous about the students I just finished teaching. In one word, the class was brilliant* as the students were quite possibly the keenest students I have worked with.

The three students (it's a small class) were great--they knew their subject (International Law, specifically questions of intervention and genocide/war crimes), they were keen discussants and were willing to argue. Most of the time, I was kept busy trying to dredge UN-related/International Law/Genocide/Rwanda stuff from the (deep, dark) recesses of my mind to discuss about "So, if X is a genocide, why isn't Y?" and "Who should intervene in Darfur then?".


* I'm not saying I was brilliant but that the class itself--a 3-hour one early Sunday morning--went much better than I could have hoped for. More experienced teachers will probably recognise the feeling of "hey, this is actually going to be fantastic", which I got as soon as I started the discussion going and which didn't let up through the (quite a few) disagreements we had. Oh, and I wore a (plain) T-shirt and trousers. And, shoes too, of course.

2 Comments:

At 7/03/2006 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well at least you wore shoes...hee hee

see who needs a suit?

 
At 7/03/2006 11:18 AM, Blogger Priya said...

Shoes, which I then proceeded to take off during the discussions (shhhh!)

I doubt TUWSNBN kids will be like these though as these kids were fantastic--sharp, with loads of great questions and pushing each other (and me) about how things might work (or not).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home