1.7.06

Oh, England!

When the time came, England stuttered and went out. As everyone knew they would. The annoying part was that Owen Hargreaves, whom most English supporters would have slagged off before the World Cup, was the only one to actually score from the penalty spot. Steven Gerrard (thankfully, he plays loads better for Liverpool so I don't much care) and Frank Lampard (totally overrated, I always said so) both missed and (Liverpudlian) Jamie Carragher scored and then had to retake his penalty and missed the second time. In between (or, afterwards, really) Ronaldo scored and won the match for Portugal.

In the afternoon (and we didn't even move from our table at Harp and Fiddle--they'll have to give us Gold Stars or something soon), my whole table (six people) was supporting Brazil, except me. I was well pleased that my team of old French blokes, led admirably by Zizou, won.

So, it's an all-European semi-finals. Now, I am on the "anyone but Italy" campaign. Since I'm teaching on Wednesday* (and, hence, unable to watch the Portugal-France match), I hope the Germans thrash the bloody Italians on 4 July.



* I did my best to get out of it but no one wants to take over. I begged and almost cried but it appears everyone has their own class on and/or are busy. I can't believe I'll be missing the semi-final of the World Cup for a teaching gig. I would love to write deep, meaningful comments about career-building and all that here but, really, I'm missing the semi-final of the World Cup for a blasted teaching gig. It's not pleasant at all.

7 Comments:

At 7/03/2006 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am currently plotting to get out of working on wed. since it is really the only match i care about...LOL

 
At 7/03/2006 11:20 AM, Blogger Priya said...

I have tried and can't. It's bloody annoying. I am still trying to get someone to take over my class then but since it's 4 hours and since other people are also teaching, the chances are non existent.

 
At 7/05/2006 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in the same boat as i am then...no getting out of work for me either ugh! but there is always the DVR!

 
At 7/05/2006 11:47 AM, Blogger Priya said...

No idea what the DVR is but good for that! Me, I'll have to depend on match reports (no visuals :-(
after the teaching gig.

 
At 7/05/2006 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DVR is like the vcr, except it stores the show electronically for so many days until you watch and delete it. only problem is people have to come to your house if they are interested in watching your shows because the DVR is not transportable :(

 
At 7/05/2006 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DVR is like the vcr, except it stores the show electronically for so many days until you watch and delete it. only problem is people have to come to your house if they are interested in watching your shows because the DVR is not transportable :(

 
At 7/05/2006 6:25 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Oh, I see! All is clear now. I don't even have a TV so have neither DVR or VCR.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home