31.8.06

Pass the flagon*

As I stood in front of 30 kids this morning, trying to function on a grand total of 7 hours of sleep in the past two days, facing dreaded lack of money and trying to calm nerves which were insisting on doing various Irish jigs in my body, I realised that I am constitutionally unsuited to making things fun. Class no. 2 in a 15-week semester might be too early for this verdict but, as a proper uni lecturer, I can only get better.**The only thing that I can say about myself is that things can (or so I hope) only get better from here. Though, with the way my luck's been going lately, I will probably get sacked from this job too.

Tomorrow, it's AnotherBigNameConference day. Both E and I will be there, bright and early, and one or both of us will blog about it. ABNC goes for 3 days but we are only there for one. We do have a shiny poster-like thing to put up (or will, once we print all our bits) but our plans for (academic) world domination has been shelved till future conferences. E finally gets to go off on holiday and I get to come back and slave away at the teaching and flunkie gigs.***







* Yes, yet another song title (not lyrics, like E's). I said it was addictive!

** This is not a grand ploy for sympathy though sympathy would not go amiss. I couldn't explain ontology and epistemology in class today. Well, let me rephrase: I could explain both concepts but in increasingly convoluted and hugely boring language which confused the kids (and I could see that in their faces). Ontology: what there is; Epistemology: how you know it. Done. Finish. Khattam. Is that really difficult? At high noon today, it bloody well was.

*** Compared to the amount of work I've put in, the teaching gig is barely worth it. I spent 3 hours writing up my notes yesterday. Three bloody hours!!! And, yet, see ** above.

4 Comments:

At 9/01/2006 10:44 AM, Blogger Genealogy Spice said...

I like the inclusion of the word "khattam".

If it helps, I am struggling with how to talk about ontology and epistemology in unconvoluted terms myself. A blog post soon on the first day of class....or perhaps an e-mail on which you will definitely be cc:ed.

Maybe we should schedule a joint meeting with our chair to talk about the class?

 
At 9/01/2006 5:17 PM, Blogger Priya said...

oh yes, count me in. i think i'll have a revolution v soon otherwise. or even talk with you?

 
At 9/02/2006 1:25 PM, Blogger Genealogy Spice said...

talk would be good! let's coordinate....

 
At 9/15/2006 12:55 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I feel like I should give him some sort of warning...

nah. No fun in that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home