13.9.06

this is my truth tell me yours

So, while E's been sorting out the great red one (no, not the blasted Liverpool team but her car), I've been musing upon syllabi as an attempt to stave off those pangs of "why am I not working" and replace them with "but thinking about work is working".

A quick chat with a couple of other newly-minted academics aka PhD-ers revealed pretty much everyone is using a quotation from someone or the other on their syllabi. SuperN was on one, as was James Joyce and Karl Popper (imagine a dinner party with those three, eh?).

As for me, I didn't have the cheek to put this on my syllabus but I did throw it at the kids during the "Theory" portion of my class.

Here yous go:

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-- Douglas Adams (who also had great stuff to say about Feng Shui and Dragons, it seems).

3 Comments:

At 9/15/2006 4:22 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Fuck, I hate my car. You should put the DA quote on your syllabus. I dare you.

 
At 9/16/2006 1:07 AM, Blogger Priya said...

I think I'm teaching 206 again (heh-it's like the hair shirt and ashes) in Spring so might take you up on it...what do I get in return, eh?

 
At 9/17/2006 11:45 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Beats me. Want a car? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home