10.11.06

Regional Conference notes, Day One

1. Pop culture panels are the best. They rock. Even the bad ones are better than most other panels.

1a. I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever felt the need to give a spoiler warning for a paper presentation.

1b. Time from the start of the Q&A period to the first mention of pedagogy? 1.5 questions.

1c. I did not talk about "New Earth" in the paper, because I wanted to focus on security and public health. I'm still not sure how it fits with my thesis, but when I revise I'll have to think about bringing it into the discussion.

1d. My favorite audience comment was on the problem of regressive politics in the health-related portions of Doctor Who.

Followed closely by the problems of teaching with Torchwood, which is much more overtly political and non-progressive, and yet also more likely to deal with questions of identity and security.

And the bits about whether a professor is needed for students to figure out that BSG is really all about contemporary politics.

And the part with the Daleks being defeated by kittens.

I repeat, pop culture panels rock. As in, they rock.

2. My cell phone is evil and hates me. The feeling is mutual.

3. After Priya ditched to go hang out in her nifty borrowed apartment, we found a fantastic coffeehouse (after the thing with the restaurant which was just weird) and sat and talked while not really mingling. Still not sure how much you're supposed to tip the wandering accordian player.

4. Cobblestones + high heeled boots + dark = Me wearing my brace for the rest of the week. Yay.

5. I love Boston. Why in the world did I move to DC?

4 Comments:

At 11/15/2006 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and now you know why i ask myself daily why i moved here from BOSTON...what the hell was i thinking!

yeah cobblestones and high heels don't mix...note the series of professionals with sneakers wandering the streets...lol

 
At 11/15/2006 6:55 PM, Blogger Priya said...

What the hell WERE you thinking, indeed????

If I lived in Boston (or maybe it was the apartment I was in), I'd give up my as-yet-unborn child to stay there :)

An easy trade, one might say.

 
At 11/20/2006 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking i needed a job and none suited me in Boston at the time...given the recession the city was in...ah well, i could always move back!

 
At 11/21/2006 12:13 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

You could! And then we could come visit. A lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home