8.12.06

This is totally non-academic but*...

The most-read (and "most emailed") story in both the BBC and Reuters today is this:

"Condoms 'too big' for Indian men"

The headline is pretty self explanatory. Apparently "more than half" Indian blokes are smaller than the international standards for condoms.

I'm sorry. I know it's not PTSD related. I know it's not academic. But, from an "essential Nepali" perspective, it's bloody hilarious!

Talk about "othering" eh? The big, scary neighbour down south is not actually big after all. Not in the sense that really matters.



* E, I'm blaming IntLaw for this. He also pointed out that telling someone that you did research of this nature (measuring penises "down to the last millimetre", as the Beeb story helpfully puts it) might not be the sort of thing you'd want to put on your resume.

Oh, and who volunteered for this gig, I wonder?

No matter, it's good to find the regional powerhouse is not as powerful (yes, yes, I shall stop!)

5 Comments:

At 12/08/2006 5:04 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Ahem. This would be the part where I don't ask why IntLaw is interested in Indian penises, right? Thought so.

 
At 12/08/2006 6:07 PM, Blogger Priya said...

It made the flunkie-ing madness seem bearable. I kept on giggling at odd moments :-)

It's funny, right? C'mon! I think all of that region (geographical, not anatomical) except the Indians themselves will find this hilarious.

I think IntLaw was (hopefully) looking out for my interests. Talknig of my interests, we should meet up IRL soon.

 
At 12/08/2006 6:39 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh, it's funny. Not sure why he was trying to help you out, but whatever.

We should meet up! We should! And also, was talking to another of our cohort today, who wants to get together, but it has to be during the week. Thursday, maybe? Cheap beers and half-off appetizers?

 
At 12/11/2006 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is also the part where I don't point out (again) that the article was the most emailed and most viewed article on both BBC and Reuters, and was prominently displayed on Google's front page, and therefore in plain sight of persons not specifically looking for the information contained therein.

 
At 12/11/2006 9:22 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

You can point that out all you like. I'm still entitled to wonder why you felt the need to tell Priya about it. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home