26.10.05

I'm pretty sure that tagging is supposed to be personal

But whatever--Kartography knows I read her stuff, so here are five idiosyncracies that I have and that I'm willing to admit to:

1. If I watch a tv show (as in sit down and see the whole thing, not just flip past looking for a hockey game), I really watch it--message boards, fanfic, chatrooms, even the occasional group cruise. Television is an interactive experience, so it's a good thing that I only watch one or two shows at a time.

2. I'm easily distracted, so I tend to start sentences and forget to finish them. Same thing with conversations, craft projects, papers, recipes, shopping lists and something else I can't remember right now.

3. There's a right way to fold towels, and if they're done wrong I re-fold them to match. I've also been known to restack the closet so that all the washcloths face the same way, sort the handtowels by color, and fold sheets so that they're all the same size. I blame my mother for this. And her mother. The whole family has serious issues with linens.

4. I'm a stickler for language. Nauseous instead of nauseated, affect when it should be effect, and improper capitalization drive me absolutely nuts. Also the your / you're thing that was mentioned at Kartography. This doesn't stop me from changing my speech patterns when I talk to people from back home because I prefer being understood to being correct.

5. Crooked picture frames are central to my personal version of hell. I'm pretty sure my cats know this, and are trying to slowly drive me insane by knocking every frame on the wall crooked at least once a week. They've got help from the crazy guy who lives next door, who slams the door hard enough to shift them all to the right.

And a bonus, to reduce the impression that I'm OCD: I love old musicals, and occasionally break into song for no real reason. And I love meat, unless it's on pizza.

In my defense, a meme like this is designed to make bloggers look as strange as possible. So there's no way to avoid sounding crazy, and I choose to embrace my special qualities rather than run from them.

I'm tagging Broken Black Button and Priya, and challenging endgame to stop eating jello and restart his blog--because it's a shame that only people on his email list get to enjoy his particular brand of black humor and snark.

10 Comments:

At 10/27/2005 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sticky poster putty stuff under the two bottom corners of pictures works wonders.

 
At 10/27/2005 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you hear that Harriet Miers withdrew her nomination?

 
At 10/27/2005 12:23 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

The cats eat the poster stuff. And then they throw it up on the carpet.

And I woke up to that particular news story--so I'm in a pretty good mood.

 
At 10/27/2005 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

now, it begs the question what idiot he will choose next.

 
At 10/27/2005 3:15 PM, Blogger Bionic-Woman said...

You're right...I believe tagging is usually personal but I just felt like doing something different. If I was Heidegger (so not!) I'd have made up a different word.

 
At 10/27/2005 3:16 PM, Blogger Bionic-Woman said...

PS - A post with directions on the 'right' way to fold towels is in order :-)

 
At 10/28/2005 4:21 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

If people can't figure out how to fold the towels properly (I'm looking at you, S!) is it really up to me to enlighten them?

 
At 10/29/2005 2:06 PM, Blogger Priya said...

I propose an advert:
"Towel-making as an example of Habermasian activity. Can we ever reach that point when all towels will be folded and folded perfectly? Is your perfect same as mine? Join us in our next session at the pub to be enlightened though you might want to say, 'What is Enlightenment, anyway?'"

 
At 10/29/2005 2:13 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Towel folding is SO not a Habermasian activity. There are objective standards of utility and aesthetic appearance--and folding towels a bunch of different ways won't bring you any closer to the true best way of folding--which is the one that I employ. It's designed for maximum stacking stability and ease of closet organization. :)

I still think we need to move happy hour to the new cool place, even if it's farther away than the old place. That giant fish on the wall scares me, and they don't have bar food. Plus the waitress doesn't like us. And I bet she wouldn't like to hear about Habermas, or clue us in on the half-price specials.

 
At 10/29/2005 4:07 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Agree about the HH gig but still think that the current place is easier because some of us walk there, some of us go (or try to) to Uni afterwards and parking is pretty diffcult (if not impossible) in my 'hood (yes, well, I did want to use that word!)
Let's give it a week or two more and try find something else in walking distance.

We should discuss Habermas some day though since I want to remind myself why/how Super F is not H (did we have a name for H?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home