24.10.05

The Road to BigNameMeeting, Part ?

This is from a few months ago. I’d just finished a seminar at OOD Uni (our regular reader might remember the issues I’d been having about it).

E: so how did it go?
P: Yay..finished talk. had AWFUL guy going on and on about how i was "simplifying stuff" and "not giving the whole complex picture of Nepal"...ah well
E: the complex picture of nepal? so he rather missed the point, didn't he?
P: ended up in name calling and me telling him that "this is my project so shut up"
E: name calling? that sounds like a seminar here.
P: but the fun thing was that all the other profs got the point (well, sort of) and all ranged on my side
P: (in v polite Danish way)
E: good. so you've converted the heathen Danes.
P: was hilarious...he also implied that since i was a girl and did not have "experience" of security, i was wrong
P: and "misrepresented the whole picture"
P: (he was in the army apparently so KNEW security)
E: of course you didn't know security. one must have a Y chromosome to understand it.
P: thought that was rather funny myself.
P: that is when name calling went on
E: good to get that sort of response early. there'll be more of it here, so at least you're prepared. I think name calling in a seminar is funny. [E: See Numb3rs episode from two weeks ago for more on name-calling in academia]
E: but then, I've never been called names when presenting
E: after, yes, but not during.
P: me too. well, I have decided I need to include some sort of interviewing in the PhD project overall
E: ?
P: but will see
P: well, I was told constantly I was wrong
E: not seeing the connection
P: and that (get this) "everybody" thought the king's actions were stupid and thought he was lying
P: and was ridiculous
E: everybody, huh? he gets around.
P: so it was a case of me supporting authoritarianism instead of totalitarianism and nothing to do with terror
E: oh-kay.
P: totally. He has been "reading lots of security literature"
E: and so understands it all
E: what is "security literature?"
P: it was really funny. and then all the profs told me I had defended myself and my project v well so i must have done something good
P: don't know
E: bravo. sounds like it went well.
P: the interviewing thing came up because I think it would be interesting to see how insecurity construction in northern ireland/nepal was going on
P: well, apart from name calling fight
P: :)
P: btw, I will send you abstract for Local Meeting by weekend
P: and another one (BNM) by the time i leave next week
E: right, well, it makes a good story. okay. once I get all abstracts, will send them off to where they go. I'll run mine by you before I do, so that we're on the same page.
P: me too
E: it's a plan, then.
E: plans always go wrong. just warning you.
P: lol..read your Copenhagen comment. No, I’m going on holiday (need to get away from here for a while)
E: i don't do well with plans. holidays are good.
P: nepali costume did not go down well with this guy who said "you don't know about nepal because you have not lived there"
E: I was a little worried that you were going to travel 8 hours for a movie [P: I’d told her that I was going to Copenhagen, to watch the new Star Wars film] thought you might have finally snapped.
P: maybe for a Clive Owen movie...but not for Hayden Christiansen
E: you have never lived in Nepal?
P: that is what he said (he said I sounded like I had never lived in Nepal...not that he ever had)
E: wait, so how would he know?
P: and also said that US insecurity construction was not based on anti-terror but on totalitarianism
E: do you get a stamp or something?
P: (don't ask)
P: probably. tattoed on forehead
E: won't ask. got flickr working, finally. We can use it to post photos now.
P: yes, and gypsies are not the look to go for
P: oh goody
P: i used some thing for the beach thing
P: i think it is a site which lets you host stuff (if I have the term right)
E: didn't think so. HRDiva did a project on gypsies a couple of years ago. The cool thing about flickr is that they post as pics, not as links.
E: and it’s free.
P: oh good. maybe i can try use it too
P: wait..got this email
P: Dear Madam,
This is in response to the call for papers on disease and security. I a
graduate student at University of X and part of my work relates to
International Sanitary Conferences in the nineteenth century and the fear of
importation diseases like cholera. Please find below a proposal for the paper.
Many Thanks,
Sincerely,
A Student
E: ? now what do we do?
P: (Abstract on how cholera supposedly spread from “East” to “West”)
E: do we have any spots left? Maybe the one that we haven't heard from—StudentY?
P: i think this is BNM
P: so StudentY never answered
P: ?
E: oh. no, that won't work, will it. Nope, haven't heard from her.
P: what should i write (am emailing now)
P: wait..let me recap BNM
P: we have us
P: the two others
P: and maybe SomeoneElse, right?
E: right. We can't add anyone until we hear from SomeoneElse.
E: can we ask to get back to cholera person next week?
P: ok. he sounds Nepali :D
P: (jumps up and down in nationalist fervour)
P: <:o)
E: if you say so. I've never been there, so I don't know. this is turning into a very nono-american panel
E: non-american
P: no, we have you
P: and me
P: :D
P: do you mind?
E: so one and a half americans.
E: doesn't bother me. i just think it's funny
P: lol..and SomeoneElse
E: right, forgot about him.
E: but he's actually [E: foreign country. Yes, that's right, a whole country. All by himself], i think.
P: wait..if SomeoneElse does not go, we have this guy (cholera) and another person (who is american)
P: ah...
E: um. it may be time to start another panel?
P: so i will email both American person and this guy same thing...that we will get back to them next week
E: right. That works.
P: do you want to (have another panel)?
P: we can have us (again), (various people whom we can’t name here)
P: but no moosehead
E: hmm.
P: right now, I writing back to him saying we are waiting to hear from fifth person
E: wonder how important the moosehead is?
P: and will let him know if we need him
P: not too imp i would say but it can't harm us
E: right. but maybe phrased so that it sounds like we've already offered the spot, but would take this project if we had known of it earlier? (okay, but better worded than that)
P: ok..would we?
E: beats me. sounds good, though.
P: i cc:d you. oops. cc-d
E: okay. [some talk about having a second panel proposal, linked to the first]
E: but not sure how that would work, since one of us would be presenting twice.
P: eh wait
E: this is not the problem I expected to have.
P: me neither!
P: but i love h-net now
P: (and we should take this I and B show on the road)
E: absolutely. Will submit all panel suggestions there from now on.
P: wait..am writing to SomeoneElse. Reading what you said
P: good.
E: and we should definitely take this on the road.
E: travel the world
E: spreading our gospel of terrorism and disease
E: wait. that's not quite right.
E: that wouldn't make us very popular.
P: lol..yes, indeed
P: though i have decided that i on darth vader's side in the Star Wars series (except for Ewan Macgregor Who Can Do No Wrong, in my book)¨
P: wait...so i emailed SomeoneElse now
P: did not mention two panels
P: but wait
E: ok. good idea. we should wait and see who we have at the end.
P: if we have two panels, then it would be one of us in each?
P: because right now (recap recap)
E: no, Weberman said to have one discuss and one present on each.
P: BNM: person1, person2 (whom I should ask to chair but maybe tomorrow since my brain is sort of sleeping right now), and us and person3
P: but we also have SomeoneElse, student, maybe SomeOtherPerson
E: Right.
P: one to discuss, one to present and a chair
P: i think the panel is right now weighted in favour of first one
E: again, right. [E: I'm pretty much the person who agrees in this conversation. Very little substantive contribution.]
P: since both person 1 and person 2 profs (and person 3)
P: so the other one would be grad students' work
E: yes. but could do back-up of grad students without much trouble.
P: since it is us and these others who are all grad students (postdocs, or phd candidates)
P: true. but then we will be submitting two panels
P: and also individual paper submissions (don't think i going to bother with that)
P: ?
E: yes. and one of them is most likely going to be accepted. so we should skip the paper submissions.
P: same panels?
P: and do we make it clear that one is grad student work
P: one of two panels?
E: I think the titles should do that for us.
P: (blast. this is too much thinking on empty stomach!)
E: we'll need different abstracts. something closer to what people are bringing
E: you should go grab something to eat. this will keep until tomorrow.
P: so we are going to do two panels (should i re-remail SomeoneElse and this guy?)
P: it just seems like more work :D
P: no..i going to be around for another hour (am waiting for mum to call. she reckons you are a good kid and i totally ungrateful btw)
E: no--wait a day or two and then we'll know better what's up. let me talk to Weberman about the chance of getting the grad student panel in.
E: funny, my mom didn't see it that way.
P: lol
P: because i would hate to do work without having dividents
P: oops
P: dividends
E: will get back to you with his input. agree that work with no results is not good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home