15.11.05

First, a lemur...then, what?

While E and I frantically try finish writing papers (I've given up and am writing a "detailed outline" now), abstracts (anotherbignamemeeting and smallregionalmeeting abstracts both due today. I'm only trying for one of them) and also working (E in proper job, me in flunkie duties), amuse yourselves with thinking about how, in the future, if you're lucky, you can get a primate named after you too. I knew there was a point to this PhD-ing.

Apparently, a new species of lemur has been named after John Cleese.

Full story here.

I especially liked this bit:

Its [the lemur's] long legs are the only physical attribute it shares with John Cleese, says Urs Thalmann of the University of Zurich in Switzerland. "Woolly lemurs can't really walk - but they do enjoy silly jumps," he adds.



3 Comments:

At 11/15/2005 11:11 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I am not at all frantic. I have the calm demeanor of all who are hopelessly behind on a project and can see their doom coming for them, inexorably marching across the room carrying a gin and tonic and constructing difficult questions about the relationships between infectious disease and military preparedness.

 
At 11/16/2005 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL sounds very reasonable...but what's with a lemur being named after cleese...i just don't see the connection...

 
At 11/16/2005 10:44 PM, Blogger Priya said...

About lemur: think Dr Urs was making the point that silly walks might be the only thing Cleese and lemur have in common though the lemur "can't really walk"....(apparently, or so I'm informed, Cleese also did a TV show on lemurs)

About conferences: E, is doom walking towards you with G&T or are you? if G&T is going to be on the menu, maybe I should have gone up earlier than I am going.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home