31.3.06

Look, a poem!

But first, I'd like to formally request that any of my committee members who may read this blog refrain from ever calling me quirky in a recommendation letter. Even if it might be just a tiny bit accurate, it would appear to be the kiss of death to outside funding, and I'd like to avoid paying for my still-hypothetical dissertation research by working at Wendy's.

If you feel you cannot be honest about a) my academic ambitions, b) my dissertation topic, or c) my classroom teaching style without calling me quirky, please let me know so that I can find someone else who thinks I'm normal.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Friday slacking:

Music

John Fletcher

Orpheus with his lute made trees,
And the mountain-tops that freeze,
Bow themselves when he did sing.
To his music plants and flowers
Ever sprung: as sun and showers
There had made a lasting spring.
Everything that heard him play,
Even the billows of the sea,
Hung their heads, and then lay by.
In sweet music is such art,
Killing care and grief of heart
Fall asleep, or, hearing, die.

4 Comments:

At 3/31/2006 10:32 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Are you quirky though? I'd have described you as (and often do) ruthlessly/scarily efficient and normal. I can't see which of your CMs it was who used "quirky" in connection with you. I'll try guessing...

Yay for lovely weather, dissertating and cherry blossoms. I enjoy them all (in varying degrees). This BNC high is lasting for a long long time :-)

 
At 4/01/2006 1:00 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yes, but the rest of the world disagrees with you. No one else seems to find me at all efficient; perhaps they notice that I'm not efficient because it is a natural state or easy to achieve, but rather that I am occasionally organized because the alternative is utter chaos.

Yech to all cherry blossoms. And to the crap special effects in Tomb Raider.

 
At 4/01/2006 1:25 PM, Blogger Priya said...

TR had Gerard Butler (or didn't it?--was that TR2?) which made it all worthwhile to me.

I can't think who doesn't see you as efficient--you'll have to let me know when we meet up next. "No one else" is a rather blanket statement that can be easily disproved by 5 mins conversation in the PhD office with some other folks (heh--hypothesis-testing involving you, E. Lovely)

 
At 4/03/2006 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not quirky! though i cannot attest for your teaching style...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home