11.6.06

Blogging the Workshop, Day 1

A more comprehensive post will follow later on today, all going well, as I seem to have picked the worst place in the room for sitting. All the major blokes (yes, they are all blokes) are sitting in the row right behind me (and can thus easily see what I'm up to on my computer). The set-up is a room with about 40-50 people, 90% blokes* (at a rough count), sitting in a lecture hall-type room. We've just been provided brekkie and I'm (sneakily) trying to catch the Holland-Serbia match on the Guardian podcast. The clothing is a mix of "summer casual" (as we were told) and "business casual" (which we were only told to wear during the two "formal dinners").

Wish me luck! More later. I need to concentrate since I have not read many of the required readings. Yes, I'm planning on being the "quiet one playing on her computer at the back of the room"**.


* The assistants, on the other hand, are all female.

** I'm a bit miffed that I didn't stick to that seating position today. I'm stuck in the middle of the classroom (it's one of those concentric circle-type rooms) with, as I mentioned, all the "big blokes" behind me. I hope the Holland match isn't too exciting or they'll start wondering how come "typologies of terrorism" (our topic this morning) could be so interesting enough to lead to squeeing.

3 Comments:

At 6/13/2006 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

o priya you sneaky one you...lol

did much squealing occur priya? how about them blokes, you make any dates? HMMM new drinking pals for priya> or could they be "footy" fans for you to hang in bars with, Priya?

 
At 6/13/2006 2:36 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Fairly loud, I think but No to all questions. I am solitarily wandering around Williamsburg pubs (well, one specifically) and watching footy and enjoying happy hours ($1 pints--shocking!)

This is an academic conference you know. No dates just serious terrorism talk (and loads of football on my part) :)

 
At 6/14/2006 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol time for footy but no dates eh? shame on you priya.

Beth has a new plan to set you up actually. LOL

Wow $1 pints? what kind of pints though....its all about quality with me.

and I don't think its overly academic there if you are spending all this time watching football...LOL PRIYA!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home