19.7.06

Re-defining the national pastime

Nation: The United States of America

National Pastime: Baseball (or so Wikipedia tells me)

My task: To go watch a baseball match and make sure I understand how the bowler is bowling to the batsman while the fielders run around on the pitch trying to score (or stop) runs. Also, not to make comments (or call out "no ball") when the bowler consistently chucks it and throws beamers*.

Two days to go until the big day and I have still to get my ticket. I hear that I can pick it up tomorrow (and will update yous on it, dear PTSD readers) and that I should get to the stadium early so I can get my own local team hat. Yes, a hat. I shall (hopefully and assuming I can push thousands of kids out of the way) be the proud owner of a baseball hat on Friday. US citizenship surely awaits.




* Yes, I'm well aware proper baseball is talked of differently. It doesn't make any difference to people who have recently started talking of football (soccer) and discuss things like PKs (penalty kicks or spot kicks), over time (extra time), end zones(what are those when they are at home, by the way?), so that's not enough of a reason to stop me (see the title of my post). Also, no, footy doesn't have "defensive backs", it just has defenders.

Oh, and "chucks it" and beamers? Definitely not cricket (but apparently baseball).

3 Comments:

At 7/20/2006 11:38 AM, Blogger Bionic-Woman said...

I just played a cricket match recently - good fun! Still don't understand why the "boys" get so stark raving mad when you don't have what they would call a repertoire or well-thought out techniques. That's the way it was when I was 15 and in high school, that's the way it is when I'm 30 and finishing up a Ph.D. 15 years....some things never change!

 
At 7/21/2006 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the title of the post...and by god why the nationals...ugh who are they playing, someone much better I hope.

 
At 7/21/2006 10:02 AM, Blogger Priya said...

Heh--Chicago Cubs. A quick glance at the "standings" page of the baseball league tell me the Nats are the last in their league and the Cubs second-to-last in theirs. So, yes, it should be a fair contest (if I understood those things, which I don't :-))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home