16.10.06

glad I don't know

I love the Beeb (as yous all know) but, sometimes, it doesn't amuse me as much.

Yes, we don't save the world. But, it'd be nice if someone did.

Here's the World Food Day Quiz from the Beeb. Pretty miserable statistics, I'd say, and apparently it's all getting worse.

Now that I've cheered yous up, let me tell yous that my "Introduction to Interpretive Research" class today was loads of fun. The wink/twitch example went down very well (I got a video off YouTube I made them watch since none of my fellow TUWSNBN-ers wanted to come in and wink at my kids). But, I'm rather grateful that the Geertz selection on a sport involving poultry, with sections titled "Of Men and [male hens]" had pages missing (so the kids couldn't read it).

They are already rather rambunctious and I fear this would have led them down the road of commenting about things that are best left uncommented upon, especially in class. It is also another reminder that, perhaps, I should read these selections before assigning them. Instead, we ended up discussing ethnographic research among "terrorists" in Northern Ireland--a safer choice all around.

5 Comments:

At 10/16/2006 8:38 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hagan, it certainly sounds interesting.

Priya, I think the ship has sailed on this being a G-rated blog. You might as well just go ahead and write Cocks. Especially since there's no such thing as a male hen. Male chickens, yes. Male hens, not so much. :)

Plus, Geertz was making a little risque joke, there. I'm pretty sure. He probably sat in his hut at night, chuckling to himself and muttering "What're they going to do? Reject it? I am Geertz, I shall write whatever title I like. Next time I will write about dogfighting, and give my article the title 'Women and Bitches'! Mwahahah!"

Or something like that. I wouldn't know, I'm not an ethnographer.

 
At 10/16/2006 8:56 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Geertz in a hut, chuckling away at his own jokes, seems disturbing on very many levels.

 
At 10/17/2006 8:48 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I think it's pretty funny. Do you think he tells himself knock-knock jokes? Or would he prefer puns?

 
At 10/17/2006 10:15 PM, Blogger Priya said...

How about knock-knock jokes about puns?

 
At 10/18/2006 1:55 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Those wouldn't be very funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home