28.10.05

Bothering bosses

So what do you do when you're supposed to be working for someone, and they don't give you anything to do?

Backstory: I had an assignment to do research that I turned in a while ago, with the understanding that once all the original work was in, I'd be assigned further research. But I haven't heard from the person who's supposed to be doing the assigning. In a while.

Obviously it isn't my job to remind this person that I'm supposed to be working, but I'd like to be able to plan my schedule (I've got another job, conference papers, and that whole dissertation thing to worry about) and I can't know for sure how much time I have until I find out whether this person needs me to do more work.

So I throw the question out to our faithful reader--what's the best way to find out whether you've got an assignment without making it seem like you're telling someone they need to work faster?

3 Comments:

At 10/28/2005 8:08 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

I actually think this is one of the cool parts about working with others -- when people help me stay on deadline. When I'm working with a grad student who is eager to start something early, for example, I'm quite interested in getting going sooner than I planned, so I say... let the person know you're just interested in planning your schedule, as you wrote here.

I don't think everyone thinks like me, though, so there may be better ways of saying this.

 
At 10/30/2005 8:31 AM, Blogger Genealogy Spice said...

I agree with 'brightstar'. I've actually found myself in similar situations and done the same...I don't recall it backfiring.

 
At 10/31/2005 1:47 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

That seems to be a consensus (I polled the suprise party this weekend as well!) so I'm going to try asking her about it next week. Just in time to be swamped because of the model-that-will-not-stop-oscillating.

Arrgh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home