1.11.05

And I'm waiting four years for this?

It's time to revisit footy, dear readers, with news that Bavarian folk dancers are "incensed" that their role in the opening ceremony of the football World Cup (to be held in Germany next year) will be only 45 seconds long.

They are also rather miffed (the article calls it "furious") that women will be banned from performing, leaving the men, who wear Lederhosen and Bavarian hats decorated with the beard of a mountain goat, to slap their thighs alone

I'm still trying to get the image of German blokes in ethnic gear jumping about "slapping thighs" by themselves.

To make matters worse,

Other Bavarian pastimes including Alpine horn blowing, musical whip cracking, and ceremonial gun firing, have also been dumped in the same 45-second slot

The organisers are probably worried that the Germans footballers (think efficient; think boring; think 1-0 wins or 0-0 draws) would find all this excitement a tough act to follow. One can't have the crowd clamouring for more Bavarian dancing over football after all.

No news yet on what will actually be in the rest of the 20-minute opening ceremony.

3 Comments:

At 11/01/2005 2:46 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Sounds like the GAF every year. Slapping and oompah bands all round. I think I've got video somewhere.

But no women? Why not? Have they got something against braids, or just dirndls in general?

Are they doing schiessen der stange?

Now I'm homesick. Dammit.

 
At 11/01/2005 10:56 PM, Blogger Priya said...

No idea why the women are banned. Seems rather odd though and, as a public service to our many sure-to-be-curious readers, I've emailed the Germans to ask. And, no, I didn't mention the war.

 
At 11/01/2005 11:33 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Let me know when you get an answer. I'm off to write some more (day one, and I'm already behind!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home