29.10.05

Sometimes I miss OOD, part I

I do really. Especially realising that I did have some good mates there. I received an email from one of them today. A Pole. Describing the recent elections (yes, in the past, I wouldn't give a toss about Polish elections. After all, despite being an IR PhD, I can't keep up with all sorts of places in the world. Post-OOD, I actually read the "Europe" page on the Beeb too. Another "good" thing). Here's part of the email, with comments :

"We just had presidential elections in Poland, and what really surprised me was that the most nationalistic, extremely pro-catholic (but also in favour of capital punishment), against minorities, against EU, against gender equal status, against abortion, really traditionalist and conservative, populist candidate won...

Well. What next? The Crusades? Oh, wait. We might already be having one of those.

...Our new president called our country the '4th Republic of Poland' now (as it will now be a new country after the '3rd Republic' which according to him was from 1989 till last week...).

This is rather similar to Nepal where we are apparently now a new country after the King took over control of government early this year. I didn't know countries could be renewed but apparently they can. I wonder if this means I could take over a country and "renew" it?

What is funny is that he has a twin brother who is also a politician, who (this is really possible!) may be the new Prime Minister soon. Can you imagine that? Twins as President and Prime Minister! Also their family name comes from the word 'duck', so most of the people just call them 'ducks'. And to make the whole thing more absurd the most important opponent's name was Donald Tusk, so in the 2nd part of elections the choice was Donald or Duck :D"

Imagine the Monty Pythonesque possibilities with Donald and Duck fighting it out for being a country's leader. I'm sitting in the office at TUWSNBN and sniggering away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home