26.1.06

Still no Zizek post

But you'll get over that, eventually. Just like you did when I never finished telling the story of The Weekend I Met TLG's Girlfriend. And sometime soon, when you least expect it, I'll get around to finishing something I start.*

*pause for laughter*

In the meantime, and in the spirit of expanding your horizons to include Things Which Are Not Good for You But Are Very Amusing (yes, there is a decided overuse of the Emphatic Capital in this post), I direct your attention to popgurls, this month's Site of the Month and an impending addition to our blogroll. Because it contains lines like this one:

My mind? It wanders. And that’s never good.


Yes, I know it isn't a blog. No, I don't care. This is all in the interest of spreading good writing and funny moments to the poor, theory-oppressed masses. Also, since I'm the geeky one around here, I can link to whatever I like.** So there.

I realize that you may be confused by all the exciting content at popgurls. You may also be concerned that I have a latent addiction to boy bands and bad television.*** Don't panic, just take a moment to breathe.

Now, you have three options. You can either begin clicking links willy-nilly, trusting your luck that whatever you get will be worth reading (my preferred method), or systematically read all of the links in order. (If this technique appeals to you, there's really nothing I can say that will help.)

Or, if you're uncomfortable with the freedom and excitement these options provide, you can start with a few of my favorite links:

How to Survive Your Commute

A Quickie with Firefly's Tim Minear
La Femme Nikita: The 'Not Really A Recap'
Camper van Flashback (Don't tell me I'm the only one who sings "Take the Skinheads Bowling" when I'm bored. I won't believe you.)
You Can't Go Home Again

From there, you're on your own.**** Good luck. I'm off to listen to Born on a Pirate Ship and an attempt to figure out why anyone would ever want to have a serious conversation with me. This could take a while.

*There's a story behind this. But I'm tired of it, and have decided to pretend that I am, in fact, quite normal. It's worked so far.

**And yet my geekiness does not extend to the ability to rename our comments link. No, I don't understand it either.

***I do not. Well, maybe the television part is true. But I prefer to think of it as a necessary break from reality.

****I should note that my love of the site does not stem from the fact that I share a first name with one of the contributors. That's just a bonus.


ETA: Almost forgot, there's a new link to the BNLBlog in the sidebar. Tickets to a concert never go amiss when gift-giving holidays come around. I'm looking at you, S. None of that hearts and flowers crap, please.

Also, it occurs to me that you, loyal reader, are not entirely comfortable with the kitschy appeal of N'Sync and celebrity crushes. It's okay, just stick to the topics you'd be safe discussing with your mother. Who probably reads popgurls, anyway.

Bet that's something you didn't want to think about.

4 Comments:

At 1/27/2006 2:01 AM, Blogger Priya said...

Heh...note the addition to the blogroll, geekgirl? It'll be off after the WC is over but until then I'm indulging my obsession.

Who knows, I might "solve" your comments issue next :-)

 
At 1/27/2006 10:36 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Very impressive. See, computers aren't so scary after all.

 
At 1/27/2006 2:20 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Never said they were scary...just that I'm totally not interested in playing around with them (unless I want them to do something for me)

Different things :-)

 
At 2/02/2006 12:22 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Tomayto, tomahto.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home