1.4.06

This is why I never liked Doctor Who

See, now that I've seen the whole 2005 season (best not to think too much about how that happened) and grown attached to Christopher Eccleston, they've gone and replaced him with some other twerpy boy who really doesn't fill out the jacket. I haven't yet watched the CiN trailer or the Christmas Invasion, but I'm willing to bet that #10 is total crap at acting brooding, and his "screw you, universe, and the wormhole you rode in on" attitude has got to lack oomph.

Plus, he wears tweed. What's the point of getting involved in a show where the leading man wears tweed? It's almost as bad as the Doctor who wore that awful polyester suit, the one that reminded me of the tuxes from my parents' wedding photos.

Talk about blinding fashion mistakes. Twelve guys lined up at the front of a church decorated in red, all wearing the same powder blue leisure suits. With ruffles down the front. I'm surprised my mom didn't turn around and run screaming from the sight of her future as the buyer of all things sartorial. And this was before he bought the cowboy boots.

Wait, what was I talking about? Oh, right. That show, the one that is all Priya's fault, the one that isn't West Wing or Numb3rs.*

Guys that geeky cannot properly glare. It's got something to do with physiology. Even Eccleston's flirting with Jack was moody. I'm going to miss #9. It wasn't really fair to send him out with that great "impending death averted and plot-specific, yet meaningful, kiss" scene. It just makes him seem cooler.

It'd be like having Josh walk out of that hotel room tomorrow and getting hit by a bus. Or an ice cream truck. Something terribly unromantic. Maybe a bus full of Good Humor Men.

Singing old camp songs.

I don't really care that all the Doctor Who fen is excited about #10. Or that Tennant has always wanted to play the Doctor. Or that he's supposedly the greatest thing since the sonic screwdriver.

I want the other guy back. Eccleston. He of the leather and the tacky sweater. I want to see who else he can make out with. I *liked* his funny ears. He was tortured and angry, yet wacky. He wore lots of black. He was so sad all of the time. He kept killing off his sidekick, and then feeling really guilty about it. He even cried. Once.

He was the kind of character that creates a properly swooning fandom.

What a stupid show to get hooked on, especially when I'm dealing with the impending demise of the West Wing at the same time.

Thank god for LFN dvds. Season Four is due out this summer, and you better believe I'm planning to spend some time with them. When I'm not working or studying or writing the Proposal that Never Ends, that is.

* One more thing, as long as I'm on the subject of all the television shows that I use to drown out the knowledge that I could be making money as a lawyer instead of trying to figure out how to make myself even vaguely employable as an academic.

The scene on Friday, with Larry running through the campus shouting about Archimedes? Pure genius. I love a good Greek philosophy reference. Even one in board shorts.

9 Comments:

At 4/02/2006 1:17 AM, Blogger Priya said...

The Doctor's usually cool. And, having watched the Christmas Invasion, I'm a fan of Tennant. But then, I always was (he was brilliant in Casanova and Blackpool though overacted horribly in Harry Potter)

I actually find it rather surprising you got into Doctor Who, E, since our tastes are so different wrt telly (me: cheesy dramas like Lost and Doctor Who and anything made by the Beeb except their new horrible series like Footballers' wives or Mile High). All I can say is the more the merrier wrt to the Doctor's fans and I hope you and S taped this last episode.

Oh, and "they" didn't replace CE--he (rather stupidly, IMHO) resigned saying he didn't want to be "typecast". What did he expect when he began the project? A one episode Doctor? Silly man.

 
At 4/02/2006 12:33 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm well aware of how Eccleston left. I was aware of it when I wrote the post, and I don't see how that detail changes my original rant.

They still replaced him with Tennant, who, after having watched CiN and the Christmas Invasion, I think I've called pretty accurately. Sure, the suit isn't really tweed, but the effect is the same.

Given that it's now a tongue-in-cheek, pop culture referencing, sci fi drama, I'm more surprised that you like it than that I do. It's right up my alley, with things that I already love like Farscape and Firefly.

 
At 4/03/2006 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...dr. who...I just like remembering the times watching old dr. who with my dad...i'm afraid...not a show I wanted to see resurrected by any means...

O P what you think of last week's lost...:)

 
At 4/03/2006 9:44 PM, Blogger Priya said...

I didn't watch last week's Lost--that pesky issue of not having access to a TV :(

I'll just wait for it to come out on DVD and watch it then.

 
At 4/03/2006 10:33 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yep. Because I'm *not* going to record that for you. No way, no how. Wild horses couldn't make me watch that crap.

No offense.

Serena, you really should try Dr Who. You know how I used to feel about it, and trust me, this is not the same show. Sure, there are plenty of references to the old series, but the whole attitude is different, and Christopher Eccleston (who still has most of a season left in the US market) is absolutely fantastic.

 
At 4/04/2006 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what night it on? LOL I probably work that evening lol

 
At 4/04/2006 11:19 AM, Blogger Priya said...

Now, you know E and S tape it...I hope they taped last Friday's since it's part 1 of 2. You can have it after me :-)

Btw, E, it is very similar to heaps of the past episodes. You just have some sort of hatred to them. It was always a show of cheesy horror, tongue-in-cheek comments by the Doctor and assistants needing to be rescued :P

 
At 4/04/2006 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that I can bring myself to get into the new Dr. who...i think that last old episode we saw at e's house was what has scarred me...

 
At 4/08/2006 2:06 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

oh, that was a bad one. I always thought Jamie was a twit. Couldn't save himself from a paper bag.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home