11.6.06

Lunchtime blogging (or why I'll never get a job, Part N)

People milled together, paired and grouped off, and then wandered off to find places they could discuss their connections. The three Europeans walked off together, a group of military folk left separately and other professor-types walked off. I, with my trusty computer (I am thinking of naming it something), walked off alone and managed to find the nearest bar showing the World Cup (Iran versus Mexico, 1-1 at half time).

Made friends with the bartender, promised to come in every day (and even sneak off early from the Workshop tomorrow to watch the noontime USA-Czech Republic match) and got a free beer.

Overall, I think I ended up on the positive side. After all, there'll be plenty of time to argue* with those Workshop types, eh?



* I am sure there'll be arguments since the guy who gave this morning's talk kept on insisting "democracies will not act unreasonably" and slagged off "those linguistic types in the field who fix like a laser on the word 'terrorism' to their detriment". There was also a lot of talk of "academic chatter" being useless to "real world applications". I'm not sure I'll survive the next 8 days.

4 Comments:

At 6/11/2006 6:04 PM, Blogger peter said...

you have got to write about this!!!!

 
At 6/13/2006 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what kind of arguments priya? and what's with the women only being assistants?

and priya have you got that MFA contact info. you were supposed to get for me?

 
At 6/13/2006 2:33 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Yes, got the MFA info and emailed that person. Haven't heard back.

 
At 6/14/2006 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, will try to wait patiently...then


Thanks Priya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home