14.8.06

It's our 575th post and it's all about...

Celebrating World Left Handers Day*.

Why this day, when we routinely ignore many other Days? Well, both halves of PTSD happens to belong to the left-handed part of the world's population.

I'm not sure how it was here in the Land of the Free but, in Thailand, left-handedness wasn't common. Wait! Maybe I was even oppressed. Yes, that sounds about right. I had to free myself from right handed oppression so it's a day of freedom we're celebrating. We should just rename it Freedom from Oppression Day.


* Despite the tone of my post, not all of us lefties go about composing left-handers laments like this bloke did. We have better things to do--like adapt ourselves to using turnstiles which are clearly geared towards the right-handers of the world. That's banal oppression in action right there.

4 Comments:

At 8/15/2006 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father was left-handed and the monks at the school he attended trained him to use his right hand (I think by use of a cast) because being left-handed in Thailand is bad. Or something. So bad on you, Priya! Ha ha ha ha aha ha ah ha aha!!

Though we know now that forcing a child to go against their instinctual nature actually leads to pervasive, adverse repercussions. Which may explain my father's obsessive need for new electronics and continual criticism of my handwriting.

 
At 8/15/2006 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...this gent has too much time on his hand. LOL

my dad was also left-handed here in the U.S., but catholic school rid him of the devil slapping him with a ruler everytime he attempted to write with the hand of the devil...so they said, and now dad is ambidexterous. LOL Serves them right.

my brother is left-handed...thankfully for him that is still the case

 
At 8/15/2006 11:56 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

They tried to train me to be right-handed (and I can sill write with it, even if it takes me longer) but apparently the conditioning didn't take. I can't imagine why. I'm usually so easygoing and not at all stubborn.

 
At 8/16/2006 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NO not at all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home