19.9.06

and by the way, when I talked to you that day

Well, at least Priya was amused by our latest excursion into PhD conversation.

I, on the other hand, might possibly need to go drown myself. At the very least, I need to rethink my conversational style, because a discussion that I thought (and that the other person involved presumably saw as) perfectly normal was in fact very strange. Depressingly strange, and from what P said we may have been having two entirely different conversations. Three, if you count the one that everyone else at the table heard. Four, if you include P, who was very meta about the whole thing, as she already knew my part of the conversation and was busy snickering about the whole situation.*

Not that she elbowed me to shut up or anything. Because that would make things too easy. And she wasn't even there for the earlier Happy Hour discussion with the Dean.

I think I'm going to cry.

On a more positive note, S isn't annoyed with me. Or at least he isn't admitting it. And I've got some shiny new Slings & Arrows to comfort me as I bemoan the fact that my mouth doesn't always have a functioning feedback loop with my brain.

*Yes, it's cryptic. I don't need to have any *more* conversations about this tonight. Two is enough for today, thanks. Even if one was Sorkinesque, it still counts, and I'm just too tired to get into the whole issue of who knows what about whom and how they know it.

2 Comments:

At 9/20/2006 12:04 AM, Blogger Priya said...

I think it was the particular person you were talking to that made it all the more amusing for me. All in all, a bit of a lift from the seemingly-interminable doldrums I seem to have slipped into.

 
At 9/20/2006 11:23 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yargh. Still say it wasn't totally out of the blue, given other conversations (and a discussion of various theories and liminaliy earlier at the table) but at least you were amused.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home