7.1.06

preventing nepali coups d'etat

I haven't really diasappeared. Honest, I haven't. In fact, just today I was out and about accomplishing several things:

1. Buying a great deal of yarn that I don't really need, for more than it's worth. Also buying some useful yarn for an afghan. And a really big crochet hook for a shawl that won't end up being nearly as interesting as the original design, because I'm not so good with patterns.

2. Paying $2 for a broken bisque unicorn statue in a charity shop. I don't care what the lady said, I'm pretty sure it won't bring me luck, because it only has half a tail now. It's even too ugly to be tacky. It's quite possibly the most awful thing I've ever bought, and I have purchased some pretty bad stuff over the years.

3. Shopping for tourist books for the Big Name Conference, and a GRE practice book for Serena. And a calendar. And sale books. I did manage to restrain myself from the one called "Make your very own holiday charm photo sticky bracelets." But only just.

4. Roaming around a condemned building, helping S remove shelving units and climbing up on a counter to reach a set of pink fuzzy dice for Serena's dad. It isn't looting if you have permission to be there, right? And it isn't as if anyone else would want an original marketing poster for Gaiman's Coraline, anyway. Or a sticker for the Pi album.

5. Spraining my ankle getting down from the counter. Thought it was maybe just a strain, but the dizziness and swelling, and the loud series of pops I heard as I landed, would suggest otherwise. Guess that meeting I need to schedule with WeberMan's going to be a phone conference.

Either that, or I'll need to go to the doctor, who will say "Your ankle is sprained. Don't walk on it, wrap it up, take medications for the swelling and the pain, use ice and heat for the first twelve hours, keep it elevated, and get yourself some crutches." It seems silly to go in just to be told that I need crutches.

Which I wouldn't use anyway.

[ETA: Yes, I know, it's ice for 15 minutes, then wrapped for ten, repeat for 48 hours until the swelling subsides, then heat on the same schedule as needed. But the doctor from TUWSNBN said otherwise the last time this happened, which is part of the reason that I'm in this situation again. That and the dice.]

6. Ordering Chinese and Greek food for delivery (see #5)

7. Watching rather a lot of NFL Wildcard games. These are much more entertaining when I'm on medication. They keep saying "here we are, on the road to Detroit," which makes me giggle.

8. Figuring out that standing on a sprained ankle isn't such a good idea after all. Even after the Motrin kicks in.

9. Hearing Shannon say "that's my foot you're rubbing" to Chris, as if this were a perfectly ordinary piece of information. Heh. Still funny.

10. Also funnier now? Those Staples commercials with the "Easy" button.

Right, that's probably enough rambling for today. Odds are 1:3 that I'll take this down in the morning, once the entertaining side effects wear off.

6 Comments:

At 1/08/2006 11:53 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I don't think that counts. She was standing on top of a television at the time. The television was on a carousel. So it was really more of gravity reminding her who was boss than anything else.

 
At 1/08/2006 10:30 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Feel v Dr Frankensteinish and want to go around saying "She's alive! She's alive!!". It's too bad you're crocked: make sure you take heaps of medications since I firmly believe your version of football is only acceptable under such circumstances. Oh, I say that being crocked gives more time to finally go about posting about the film :-)

Btw, I saw Syriana today and can confirm Clooney, unlike Zizek, does not have copious amounts of chest hair. Just thought I'd add that image to your already woozy brain, E.

 
At 1/08/2006 11:59 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much. *That's* the image I want to wake up screaming from in the middle of the night.

 
At 1/11/2006 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL i just love these antics of yours...even while we are experiencing them at the same time.

 
At 1/19/2006 11:11 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

My mom says you should have got your own dice. I did try to explain the arm, but she wasn't having any of it.

 
At 1/20/2006 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

alas i told you cris would do it and you said no no....i blame your stubborness...let the men break themselves. i say it is their turn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home