29.4.06

Bring on the Dictionary

Following E's comments about dictionaries in her last post, let me tell yous that two words I have a difficult time distinguishing between, in English, are "legitimation" and "legitimisation".*

Since I plan to use either/both fairly often on Thursday, I would like to figure out where and how I may use them. Personally, I use "legitimisation" when talking of "strategies of legitimisation" and how legitimisation is faciliated. However, I have noticed other folks use "legitimation" (including SuperF, I think) but that sounds a bit odd to me. Is this one of those (interminable) American versus the rest of the world (or, "my" world) things or are the two actually incommensurable? (E, remember our "commentating" and "commenting" issues for our Wisconsin paper?)

Yes, I know. I should be worrying about bigger things than how to use a word. But, sometimes, it's good to get caught up in details.




* Others include "Salon" and "Saloon". This is made worse because, in Nepal (and mostly in Thailand too), signs, in English, for posh spas and hair "salons" have "saloon" written on them. Also, in everyday conversations, a visit to a (usually posh) hairdresser/spa person is considered as visiting a "saloon". I leave the image of middle-aged women hanging about in saloons getting their hair/faces done for your entertainment (I rather like the idea of being able to knock back a few beers and play poker while getting my face peeled). Regular, non-spa-like places are just called "hair cutters" and not saloons. This is another of those slightly weird conceptualisations one retains even after years of being told the "correct meaning" of words. No matter what I do, I can't erase memories of Clint Eastwood as the Man with No Name striding into the nearest "saloon" and asking for "a bit of a beard trim and some sunscreen and moisturiser for the road, please."

1 Comments:

At 4/30/2006 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooo rough and gruff saloons for women's haircuts...how western!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home