21.9.06

I was it and didn't know it

Yes, yes, I'm supposed to be gone. But, bear with me. I just found out (very late in reading other folks' blogs, that's me) that I'd been tagged by Bionic-Woman. She wants me (and E, you too) to "Go to www.quotationspage.com and look through random quotes until you find 5 that you think reflect who you are or what you believe".

B-W, being more of a stickler for instructions than I seem to be, found 7 that fit her after clicking through random quotes. I'm much lazier so I'm going to cheat and pick the first five I got (with additional comments):

1. Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
Ellen Goodman
American journalist (1941 - )

Well, and I guess that's why I'm not normal. Where's my car and house and job, eh? Where? At this rate, I'll never be normal.

2. He may be mad, but there's method in his madness. There nearly always is method in madness. It's what drives men mad, being methodical.
G. K. Chesterton, The Fad of the Fisherman (1922)
English author & mystery novelist (1874 - 1936)

I have always rather liked GKC with Father Brown being a particular favourite. Does this mean I may not be normal but I'm not (yet) mad, either. Phew.

3. In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary.
Aaron Rose

Umm...right on. Light: dim and bleary; time: after a couple of shots of whiskey, I'd say.

4. Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness.
Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
English essayist, poet, & politician (1672 - 1719)

Since exercise is as foreign to me as Greek, I reckon that's why my soul has always been such a misery.

5. When you meet your antagonist, do everything in a mild and agreeable manner. Let your courage be as keen, but at the same time as polished, as your sword.
Richard Brinsley Sheridan
Irish dramatist & politician (1751 - 1816)

Another fave, RBS. I even took a copy of his plays to the Outback (of Denmark) with me last year. And, sage advice here. Not that I ever seem to follow it.

There, that's done.

2 Comments:

At 9/22/2006 5:18 AM, Blogger praphul said...

RofL:
Rolling on the floor Laughing

keep going>

 
At 9/22/2006 3:04 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yurgh. Oh, well, fine. I'm off to find quotes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home